604 - How to remove Door Mirrors and Trim?!?

604TurboDiesel

Tadpole
G-day all, finally I have started the restoration on my 604. :D

In process of taking it apart, but am not clear on how to safely remove the door mirrors and the stainless steel trim on the door bottoms.

Could someone please, please give me instructions. I do not want to force anything and risk breakage.

Attached some pics.

:thanks:

Attachments

• Mirror.JPG
    Mirror.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 106
  • Door Trim.JPG
    Door Trim.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Restoration.JPG
    Restoration.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 105
My 604 has a different mirror from that, but yours looks just like the 505 ones. The triangular part should just pry inwards. There are three fixed plastic pins that engage in plastic lugs in the door frame -- pretty much like a door card.

The window trim is more of a problem. I'm pretty sure the 604 is just like the 504 and I've had mixed luck getting them off. There are plastic clips on the top of the door skin. The clips have a barb which makes it easy for the trim to be installed, but you need to coax the barb out of the way for removal. I've used old hacksaw blades, bent wire, screwdrivers. Each has worked, but sometimes at the cost of broken clips and/or distorted trims.

If you're really lucky, besides having the 505 mirror you'll have the 505 window trim. It pops right off when you pinch together the appropriate tabs from inside the door. So much easier.

There was a thread here a while ago about a group purchase of the rubber for the 504 trims (604 rubber is different BTW). Various posters there shared their tips on removing the trim.

Good luck with the restoration. Great car.

Have fun,

Rob.

1/2 success!!

Thanks Rob, got the mirrors removed. After a few heart stopping moments when the inner trim let go and popped off, the rest was straightforward.

No success on the window trims. :cry: I see and understand exactly what you described, the plastic tabs held by the metal barbs. So I was able to slide thin metal spreaders between the plastic and the metal - which I surely thought would let the trim slide out effortlessly, but it did not make any difference? That baffles me. Unless there is something on the other side of the plastic that also holds it in. It would help if anyone had even a removed picture of what the 504/604 trim looks like. :confused:

Again, :thanks: