604 2.7 V6 Water Pump

James S

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

I have a 504 with a 2.7 V6 (carby) in it. The water pump is weeping.

I can buy a new one from France at a cost so am hoping for a cheaper solution.

Does anyone know if you can rebuild these and if so, where you can get seals from? Bearing should be easy to find I guess. I did a search on the forum and found a thread where someone pulled one apart and measured the shaft but the thread ended there I think - no rebuild discussion.

Or, does anyone have a good spare one sitting around? These parts seem hard to come by for some reason - not many 604s around perhaps...

Thanks,
James

I found some cheap Volvo water pumps on eBay a few years back when my 604 ones started leaking.

The top housing is different, but so long as yours isn't too badly corroded, you can swap the guts from the Volvo pump into the Peugeot housing. That's what I did and am currently running on my 504, and I'm about to fit another one to my 604 also.

Awesome. Thanks Scotty. My brother, who knows the PRV motor pretty well, suggested the Volvo ones but when I looked at the housings, the two are different and I wasn't sure if the guts of the pumps were the same. Now that you have confirmed this, I'll hit eBay for a Volvo one. Cheers

Thanks Graham. I might need this number. I bought a Volvo one on eBay so if this doesn't work for me then I'll give those guys a call.

Pulling pump apart

Hi Scotty and Brian (username Martook on the furum),

I found the thread regarding replacing the 604 pump bits with the Volvo bits: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/123843-where-find-604-water-pump.html

My $46 Volvo pump arrived today.

Can one of you guys please help with advice on getting the pumps apart. It looks like the pulley flange has to be pulled off the shaft somehow (bearing puller maybe)? What about the fan/turbine bit? If you get the bits off the shaft, what next? Is there a circlip at each end?

Thanks heaps,
James

Attachments

• IMG_20180917_203553290.jpg
    IMG_20180917_203553290.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 153
Hi James, I used a press to get the flange off & refit the 604 flange back on (bolt spacings are different to volvo) do not put pressure on the impellor as it will break, if you don't have a press find someone who has or farm it out to an old mechanic/fitter.
cheers
Brian

Yep, like Brian said. I used a bearing puller on mine, it wasn't particularly tight, and then just drifted it back on. Make a note of the clearance between the flange and the pump before you start, and put it back in the same place.

The impellor is integral with the shaft, don't try to do anything with that, it will be fairly brittle.

Thanks guys, I'll work with that. I had a bearing puller somewhere. Seems to have disappeared. Will let you know how it goes. Cheers

hi James. as with anything right fitting(interference Fit) you could try putting outer flange in boiling water, water pump shaft in freezer to shrink metal and you may find they will fit together with less resistance. have used this method when fitting piston. pin. Conrod assemblies together for 504/505 engines also brake drum into motor bike alloy rims..... just a thought...... Jim