6 Volt Batteries

geodon

Fellow Frogger
I'm wondering how fellow punters are travelling with 6V batteries these days?

I'm certainly not in a happy place!

I have had to deal with needing to have 4 of the buggers: 2 in the MGA (in series to get 12V- one on each side to in theory balance out weight distribution, I suppose, but in actual fact is a bit of technical wankery IMHO) and one each in the Dauphine & the Fergie.

My problem is that only ones I can buy are the Century models and my problems are:

1. They aren't easy to get & cost around $160 each

2. They never last longer than ~18months, so it's ~$320 for the MGA every 18 months or so

3. I suspect their quality is very poor.

I believe 3 due to the fact that they NEVER get to full charge- I use a digital charger that senses when it's fully charged & switches off. My 12V batteries always follow the script but these buggers go on and on and on until I worry about driving off the water in the sulphuric acid! And it's NOT a 6V vs 12V phenomenon because the MGA follows the same pattern as a single 6V unit.

The MGA not starting last week caused a major dummy spit & I got a Marshall 12V unit that fitted one of the 6V cradles with a minor amount of overhang for $150 & a 3 year guarantee!

Comments?

Have had a Century 6V battery in the Dauphine Gordini for 4 years, and still working OK. Sometimes it gets used a couple of times a week, sometimes maybe a month goes by. It doesn’t get disconnected between uses. I remember it being the higher A/Hr one available of the two in that physical size, but that is about all.

R&J Batteries in Ballarat make high quality batteries and sell Delkor. I get my 6V batteries from them although they don't make them. They have dealers everywhere. Give them a ring.

wouldn't the MG be simple. Joint one set of battery terminals together and throw a 12volt battery in the other side :)

A 12 volt battery is just 2 x 6 volt batteries in series
battery.png
$40 at K-Mart, so cheap
Gain access to battery internals and make a connection, so easy and cheap.
This is a very old 4WD trick when one cell of battery has failed.
Short circuit failed cell and you can still start

My standard 6V batteries come from the local supplier and usually last 5+ years. I keep it on an electronic trickle charger. I just buy the biggest size that fits in the 4CV battery box. Nothing exotic in construction. Each time it dies I've forgotten how old it is, think about buying a you-beaut exotic one and decide not to bother. Keeping it fully charged might be the go?

CATERPILLAR or JOHN DEERE 6V Batteries cost a bit more but are by far the best available & I've had CAT last up to 10 years in Jeeps.
Got a mate works for the dealer get them to buy for you @ staff price which is better than trade.

As John mentioned trickle charge extends battery life in vehicles not often used.

CATERPILLAR or JOHN DEERE 6V Batteries cost a bit more but are by far the best available & I've had CAT last up to 10 years in Jeeps.
[/URL]
Got a mate works for the dealer get them to buy for you @ staff price which is better than trade.

As John mentioned trickle charge extends battery life in vehicles not often used.
But don’t forget to top up the water -easy to forget
I frequently do :(
A

Best still is a weekly run but events this year have conspired to keep early vehicles under wraps.