6-cyl Gordini Ford

Ray Bell

Fellow Frogger
Found this question elsewhere... thought it might be interesting:

Originally posted on another forum
I am looking for more information about the french 1954 Ford Comete with a 2.5 L 6 cyl. Gordini engine (type 30) mentioned in Robert Jarraud "Les Gordini" book, page 71.

I would be curious to know from which Ford dealership the car was bought from and, also, if the car still exists.

I have no doubt nobody here could answer the specific questions, but what about the car... does anyone have details?

6 cyl Gordini, Ford?

Ray Bell said:

I have no doubt nobody here could answer the specific questions, but what about the car... does anyone have details?

Ray,
As you and other Simcaphiles would know the Comete was a product of the French Ford organisation. Sold to the general public with a V8 engine.
The Comete in question would have possibly been a one off.

In Serge Bellu's book "Blue Blood" are chapters on Amedee Gordini's racing cars. With a change in the formula from 2 litre to 2.5 litre Gordini had to simply? change the crankshaft and the liners on his 2 litre 6 cyl engine, the head was the same for both. The engine is described as having two camshafts with short rockers. An accompanying photo shows a layout similar in appearance to most Gordini engines apart from it being a 6 cyl.

All this was during the year 1954. I wonder if this was the engine fitted to the Comete ?

Last edited:
Ray Bell said:
No doubt this was the one, beesty...

The car looks somewhat small for a V8. I suppose it was in the Vedette line?
I think the bodies were built by Facel.
W

2x Ford Comete by Facel 1954 One serious-one fun?

Attachments

• 1954_ford_comete_coupe_facel_01_m.jpg
    1954_ford_comete_coupe_facel_01_m.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 628
  • Ford Comete Line drawing.jpg
    Ford Comete Line drawing.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
Comete

Ray Bell said:

It could be possible that the car was fitted with an Gordini engine, but the serieproduced Ford Comete had the small 2.2l V8 from Ford Vedette. It's hard to tell wether it's a Comete or a Comete Monte Carlo, the only differences is in the front (Monte Carlo has a different grill, like in the picture of the black one posted here, and a small fake air scope on the hood).

It's most likely to be a regular Comete, mostly because they where most common. But also because Comete Monte Carlo often had wirewheels and two toned paint.

The Monte Carlo has a sidevalve 3.9l (240cui) V8 (as used in Vedette Vendome, and of course in a bunch of Ford V8's)
Chassis is from Ford Vedette, body by Facel Metalon (before they became Facel-Vega and started making complete cars). It's easy to see the resemblance to the early Facel-Vegas, and the other cars they made the body for (Simca 8 and 9, Bentley MK VI Facel Metallon Coupé)

It has a four speed Pont-A-Mousson manual gearbox, earlier used in trucks (later on Chrysler 300 and Facel-Vega could also be equiped with them) the gearbox is said to handle over 500bhp without trouble (The Comete Monte Carlo has 105bhp)

All the bumpers, door handles, listwork etc is stainless steel.

Can't help you with what dealer they where bought from, mine was sold new in Stockholm, Sweden. Imported by me to Norway in 1995

Attachments

• 112_0408_pebble34_z.jpg
    112_0408_pebble34_z.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 492
  • benmk6facel51.jpg
    benmk6facel51.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 549
Comete

The black Car is the Bentley Mark VI Coupe, body by Facel (hard to tell from the angle on Comete picture, but the two cars is actualy quite similar

Thanks for your interest... maybe, therefore, you can give us some further information...

Elsewhere on this forum, a week or more ago, there was a thread about a Simca-built military vehicle which used a Ford V8 of 4.2 litres.

This led to a chase where we found that these engines were still built in Canada until the eighties or nineties. But what I'd like to know was whether or not they were actually built in France as well... as the V8-60 was.

TurboJens said:
Can't help you with what dealer they where bought from, mine was sold new in Stockholm, Sweden. Imported by me to Norway in 1995

Lucky man!!! And thanks for the information.

I'm amazed at the information that becomes available on this forum. Thanks for those who contributed here - a range I knew next to nothing about. Before Froggy Forum, I thought I knew a bit about French cars, but I'm very humble now....

JohnW