508 sales expected to be modest

And dealing with ep6s over the last 12 odd years you get
Timing issues
Cooling issues leaks from everywhere
Oil use
Turbos

What’s the story with the EP6 from 2014 builds on? Peugeot seem to crow loudly about much lower fault/warranty issues?

There are people in suits who make a grand living from market research and tactics. It would seem the Inchcape budget did not run to employing any but relied on the work experience student or worse still an accountant to devise their strategy for PSA in Australia. The situation is not irretrievable. Perhaps a study of the quiet success of Skoda in building an increasing market position should be studied. The brilliant strategists who decided to reduce the dealer network should be let go. And the methods used by Dommerson and Sime Darby in selling a lot of cars should be studied as should the failure in servicing that brought such a dramatic decline.

What’s the story with the EP6 from 2014 builds on? Peugeot seem to crow loudly about much lower fault/warranty issues?

Just lipstick on a pig ,ok less timing issues but still the base design is a hot running high pressure engine I’ve seen to many basic problems to ever consider pay my hard earned for one.

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Last edited:
My comments were about the Australian Peugeot market only, which to me seems to be on the brink of extinction. Here the Peugeot brand has always been marketed as slightly upmarket to justify fairly crazy pricing in some times. My 1991 Mi16 was AU$43,000 new, for example, where a current 5008 is $46,990 drive away, some 28 years later. I know various things aren't directly comparable, but that's just to quickly illustrate what I meant.

Ever since Carlos Tavares got there, Peugeot has stopped chasing volume and now has better margins than the German premium brands can dream of. He's doing something right.

Russell is correct - a good dealer network and competitive pricing is a must.

The 203 was always marketed in Australia as being up market to the Simca Aronde which Chrysler was selling for 999 pounds but reality was the Aronde and the 203 were identically priced in France. In 1965 when they reduced the 403 and 404 prices to a realistic level they sold a lot more.You bought your 405 in 1991 when car prices were at their peak in Australia. A falling dollar and high tariffs were not saving a failing Australian car industry so import restrictions were imposed where surplus quota was sold between importers at high prices. Having JRA as importer didn't help. I was quoted close to $50,000 on road for a 405 wagon and the 505 familiale was the price of a Ballarat house. Correction - that would have been $40000 for the 405.

Last edited:
274bd194b592d992eab699aeb4230b21.jpg

Global pricing is interesting. Different model I know, but the 3008 GT Line is list priced at EUR 38,900 (AUD 63,000 give or take) in France. The same car here with 1.6 Turbo (but admittedly 6sp not 8sp auto) is around AUD 45,000).

Does that mean Peugeot are cheap in Australia? I don’t think so, but either way it’s a massive difference.

How do you rebuild a brand? You offer products that consumers like, with features that match and hopefully improve on those of competing makes, at a price no higher than others.
You drop the "prestige car" nonsense of marketing to the socially insecure and social climbers.
You provide excellent service at no higher cost than your competitors through an extensive and convenient network of dealers.
And if there is a problem with a car under warranty you make sure you own the problem not the owner.
By providing quality products consumers like to drive and good quality moderately priced service sales and resale values will begin to grow again.

in Adelaide Peugeot is all but anonymous, they are tacked onto the side of one of the many jarvis car yards on main north road and, along with Citroen, seem largely forgotten.

Tis a shame, cause i saw the new 508 when i drove past yesterday, and it really is a "double take" kind of car, it looks stunning

There is no dealer in the South East or anywhere else in SA I know of. Nor any in Victoria west of Ballarat.
If they were serious about re-establishing the make they would pick one good model (like the 508) and promote it strongly at a price that would make people take note and motoring journos would talk about as being great value.

Inchcape spent money advertising the 3008 then seemingly lost interest.
So who expects the brands to self inject themselves into the public’s awareness?.
Either they can’t supply or they don’t care anymore.
What is it Inchcape ? !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be honest I never saw an ad for the 3008 on country television but where you've shut the dealerships why bother. Their advertising I've seen online was best described as odd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAovlzCs9cY
The theme here seems to be an odd car for odd people. I'm sure African women executives, nude male models, women of a certain age and Asian executives who want to stand out as individuals flocked to buy the car.