508 not starting

Glenn

Fellow Frogger
Good afternoon all
My son's 508 HDi is causing problems again. A while back I said that it was intermitently not starting. Flllowing the advice here the battery was replaced bu a dealer and all was good for a few weeks. Last night it returned home to Benalla from Wangaratta on a truck. Absolutely refused to start. RACV called but they could not get it to go. The suspicion now seems to be the starter motor - RACV guy and son both thought it was making noise when they tried to start car. This morning it started perfectly!!!
How difficult is it to change the starter (relative to say a 504!)? Are they available - EAI? What are they worth, no what do they cost? Worth getting auto elec to look at old one?

Thanks

Glenn

This description is a bit illogical, or at least, badly worded, no offence.

You will need to clarify 'refused to start'. Did it turn over normally? If so, the first thing that any motor club would do is to isolate either fuel or spark.

If the starter motor is making a noise when turning over, that should be fairly easy to diagnose, but a noisy starter motor would not necessarily be the cause of failure to start.

And when it did start perfectly, was there a noise from the starter motor?

New batteries last for years, not weeks. If a new one fixed the problem for 2 weeks, and it is happening again, then maybe the battery was not the cause in the first place - unless you have 2 unrelated problems that are happening at the same time.

HDI, so no spark. It would help though to know which engine (presumably the RHH 2.0) and the symptoms when trying to start. It could be the immobiliser, or a fuel problem, or the starter, or a dud battery.

It's very different from a 504. A large iron block, set transversely, with the starter motor concealed low down.

If it's a 2 liter and it does need a starter. They're actually pretty easy! If it's a 1.6 have fun

My apologies for not being clear enough! It is a 2012 two litre diesel. I do not have any other motor specifications though.
When son went to start car he could hear a click from the starter (like the solenoid working) but the motor does not turn over - absolutely nothing!
With hindsight I agree that the new battery was unnecessary but it seemed like the place to start with so many people immediately turning to that as a problem.

Dave, is it possible/worth repairing a starer motor these days? Is a second hand one worth considering? are new ones available?

Thanks for your help everyone.

Glenn

Morning Glenn, In #1 you indicated an intermittent 'won't start' situation which was cured for a short time by fitting a new battery, and then a ride home on a truck because it would not start but the next morning it was perfect. Now in #5 it seems that your son is reporting a 'no start' situation but he can hear a clicking which is believed to be the starter solenoid. If the aforesaid is correct then it seems logical that you have an intermittent problem which is evidenced by the perfect starting the morning after the ride on the truck. To my way of thinking your problem is most likely to be with the solenoid or something disturbed when the battery was fitted. By getting an assistant with a voltmeter you could check to see if 12V is getting to the starter motor every time the key is turned and the click from a solenoid is heard. If there is 12V at the starter every time then you've either got an intermittent, starter which may respond favourably to a modest tap from a hammer like we used to do years ago when the brushes were a bit sticky, or a weird wiring issue. Would be a good idea to record the at rest battery voltage and the voltage at the starter during the testing. I have 5 x 2.0 lt RHR engines and never had a starter issue.

New starter. Not too hard to put in. So far it is still stating!
Thanks for the advice
Glenn