508 HDi troubles

Glenn

Fellow Frogger
My son's 2011 508HDi is a pain again. This time the check engine light and the srevice lights come on and it looses power. It has been to the dealer in Shepparton three time. They have topped up the engine oil, and replaced two vacuum pumps. this time the car was at the dealer for several days and they said it was right to go. It was until it got half way home and same problem! Home is a bout 100km away. Things went wrong when he went up a bit of a hill if that is relevant. So far he has parted with $1300! and the car is still not right. I would love some suggestions that we can put to the dealer.
He has three young children he is looking after, lives out of Benalla, and needs the car. This is getting ridiculous.
Appreciate any advice.
Glenn

The 2.0 diesel is pretty reliable. Do you have the error codes?
He may need a new mechanic.

Unfortunately I do not know the codes. The dealer just has "found codes soughted for vacuum system" on the work statement.

Glenn

If it is the RHR engine (that code is in the VIN at position 6) I wonder if it is the infamous plastic Y piece in the vacuum line. This forum is full of it splitting with loss of vacuum. The turbo is affected. You can look up the many threads using the Google box at the top of the page. In any case it is an easy thing for an owner to check.

From memory the 2011 508 got the rhh engine.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I got excited bu this Seasink but it is an RHH motor

Glenn

Without codes I can only describe the control system, which may help a little.
The DW10C engine (RHH) has a vacuum pump (top of engine, driven by a camshaft) that exhausts a reserve space in the plastic moulding used also for the air intake. The reservoir is at the very back of the moulding, behind the injectors.

This space has black plaatic housed solenoid valves mounted on it (electrovannes in PSA French) on the rear side at the top. You can see them with a mirror. Feeling is easier. Each operates electrically from a computer signal to admit "vacuum" to the appropriate control tube. The vacuum tubes go to diaphragms at
1. the EGR valve (at the fron),
2. the turbo (at the back), and
3. the doseur valve(s) (front).
The valves are ganged together by an atmospheric pressure tube.

If the pump is eshausting, then the valves should operate the vacuum controls. You can check the integrity of most of the connections easily, though the turbo is hard to see. In my car the doseur line has a habit of popping off.

Attachments

• L296530D.jpg
    L296530D.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Thanks Seaink, we will investigate over the weekend
Glenn

I found this diagram from Citroen.

Attachments

• vacuum system.png
    vacuum system.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 133