508 Gt Wagon

John, I have a 508GT wagon which replaced a C5 Wagon a year ago from Continental in Roselands. I've done 40,000km and covered a range of roads including many trips from the NSW South Coast to the Snowies on a mix of back roads, including dirt. My C5 ate up these trips swiftly and smoothly. I was a little worried the 508 wouldn't offer the same experience but I was so wrong! It's fantastic. Smooth, quiet and really comfortable and when you want to push on it really delivers. No issues with mine - just replaced front tyres (Michelin Pilot Sport 4's) and have a battery due on warranty as the one in it doesn't like the stop start function which I don't care for anyway. Interestingly on the open road it's using same level of fuel my diesel C5 did (mind you 98RON is more expensive than diesel). I loved my C5 and still turn around to look at one as the design is just so well resolved but the 508GT is a whole other league. It's really a spectacular looking car and gets comments from folk wherever it goes. Once you get used to ducking your head to get in (it's very very low...) you'll never look back...actually it's best not to look back because, as another writer said here.....you can't see much!!
Niels, do you work for PSA? Just jesting, thank for confirming our decision.
I reckon that the 508 GTi could have easily came out of the Rennes plant that make both Citroën and Peugeot with Citroën badges. (It is French and genuinely "Made in France" unlike some / many German cars where you think you are buying German but don't really know).
We'll certainly miss the most underated Citroën but I'm sure that we'll quickly adapt to the 508.
As for getting used to getting into it, not an issue, the Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6S manual has standard lower sports suspension. This Audi also has the stiffer suspension (because of the "sports") so the difference between driving the Audi and C5 that I've been experiencing (chalk and cheese) will not be there.
According to the current brochure, the 508 GTi Sedan and Wagon both come with 19" wheels. The demostration car had 18"wheels; it is last years model. So, we'll put up with the 19" wheels and see how we go.
John

Mada still sell the 6 wagon - by all accounts a very slick bit of kit.
Agreed Haakon, Mazda also have a good reputation unlike some/most of the German cars.
Don't know why, but our choice of a motor vehicle has always been out of the ordinary and the Peugeot 508 GTi will be no exception.
We started off with: Simca, Fiat Lancia, Audi (when we got the first one, they were not a dime a dozen), Citroën and the only time there was a deviation from that were the company cars that came full of fuel, oil, tyres and comprehensive insurance. I could not knock them back.
John

Agreed Haakon, Mazda also have a good reputation unlike some/most of the German cars.
Don't know why, but our choice of a motor vehicle has always been out of the ordinary and the Peugeot 508 GTi will be no exception.
We started off with: Simca, Fiat Lancia, Audi (when we got the first one, they were not a dime a dozen), Citroën and the only time there was a deviation from that were the company cars that came full of fuel, oil, tyres and comprehensive insurance. I could not knock them back.
John
Yes John from the point of view of economy, a company car is way out in front.

Back to power extraction from small motors, I note in the latest Wheels magazine that the latest Ingenium 2 litre motor in the Jaguar XF delivers 221 kw at 5500 rpm and the BMW 530i 2 litre delivers 185 kw at a similar rev range. Those turbos certainly must do some great work……before the bearings within give up. Obviously direct injection has played a big part in power extraction with both types of fuel.

I wonder how much aluminium and high tensile steel is in the new 508. The weight saving can’t all be in the frameless doors and canbus wiring (just kidding). Glass isn’t getting any lighter. There is obviously some clever work in chassis design. Maybe we will soon get a YouTube of the Rennes factory making one. Hopefully soon as I am sick of watching Macans, AMG engines etc being constructed, as fascinating as they are.
Don

Niels, do you work for PSA? Just jesting, thank for confirming our decision.
I reckon that the 508 GTi could have easily came out of the Rennes plant that make both Citroën and Peugeot with Citroën badges. (It is French and genuinely "Made in France" unlike some / many German cars where you think you are buying German but don't really know).
We'll certainly miss the most underated Citroën but I'm sure that we'll quickly adapt to the 508.
As for getting used to getting into it, not an issue, the Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6S manual has standard lower sports suspension. This Audi also has the stiffer suspension (because of the "sports") so the difference between driving the Audi and C5 that I've been experiencing (chalk and cheese) will not be there.
According to the current brochure, the 508 GTi Sedan and Wagon both come with 19" wheels. The demostration car had 18"wheels; it is last years model. So, we'll put up with the 19" wheels and see how we go.
John
Ha! No I don't work for PSA but I reckon they owe me... I'm on my 8th Peugeot (404,504,505,205Gti,308,4007) and have owned 9 Citroëns (BX16V,Xantias,C3,C4,C5s and a DS3Sport...) and if I had a dollar for every other person I infected with the "French car bug" I'd be able to afford an Alpine A110.

So do Skoda.

We have a Fabia wagon.

Contrary to popular prejudice it has been completely trouble free and cheap to service.
Nothing wrong with Skoda the car robmac, but there is something with its owners - Volkswagon Ag.
John
PS: On another subject, is a CRT Loewe TV (works perfectly but I have to admit tv's have progressed somewhat in the last 20 years) any good to anybody? (Sorry, if I'm wrong and you are not into the electronic field.)

Ha! No I don't work for PSA but I reckon they owe me... I'm on my 8th Peugeot (404,504,505,205Gti,308,4007) and have owned 9 Citroëns (BX16V,Xantias,C3,C4,C5s and a DS3Sport...) and if I had a dollar for every other person I infected with the "French car bug" I'd be able to afford an Alpine A110.
In my younger days I drooled over a 504, especially when Bob Watson was rallying it and we were in a Simca.
As for now, this Peugeot will be by default as no Citroen equivalent.
If you got the room for an A110 why not go for it.
John

Is this not an unreal machine? Seeing this 508 GTi Wagon next to the Mustang, I was blown away as to how sleek the Peugeot 508 is. (Top speeds I reckon not much different [albeit both electronically limited ] with Peugeot doing it via 1600cc motor
This 508 GTi Wagon MY2020 is available now. We knocked it back as we have chosen a new Celebes Blue due sooner than expected.
Photos came to me via the salesman and maybe image size already reduced - my uploads previously failed.
2021-10-09 14.49.02.jpg
2021-10-09 14.43.19.jpg

I have a 508 Gt 2015 with 19” wheels
I would agree that there is a trade off with ride compared to what I’ve experienced in non GT 508s of similar era.
It’s all relative though, as the ride in my Pug with 19” rims is still better (and quieter) than what I got from my Audi with 18” rims.
I will say that the ride in my 2020 508GT is far superior to my 2015 GT. I would rate the current GT ride comfort as exceptional for the segment.
The big issue with the 19” rims is the price of decent tyres. Michelins will set you back $350. + each.
Our daughter purchased a 2012 508 GT sedan about 6 months ago. It is the optioned pack with the 19" alloys, Sat Nav, full leather etc. It has taken a while to become familiar with all the fittings & comfort settings. However, it is indeed a beautiful car to drive. The 2.2 litre turbo diesel engine is astonishing in not only its performance but miserly economy. A refined version of that fitted to the Peugeot 4007, which we have owned for many years. I think this car will be in the family for quite a while!

Our daughter purchased a 2012 508 GT sedan about 6 months ago. It is the optioned pack with the 19" alloys, Sat Nav, full leather etc. It has taken a while to become familiar with all the fittings & comfort settings. However, it is indeed a beautiful car to drive. The 2.2 litre turbo diesel engine is astonishing in not only its performance but miserly economy. A refined version of that fitted to the Peugeot 4007, which we have owned for many years. I think this car will be in the family for quite a while!
Thanks Kimdeb.
It will be our first car for nearly a couple of decades so you can imagine all the fun we are going to have getting used all those technological aids. Would you believe that we did accept the optional rear parking senses on a relatively pricy Audi A4 Quattro with a number of non practical but luxury options - boy we miss them now as the Citroen C5 has spoilt us.
So after all of my motoring years, we can't wait for the Peugeot to arrive.
John

Looks fantastic. Careful with kerbs with the 19's, those diamond cut rims a expensive to repair.

Nice Christmas present! (y)
Yes, however, we have elected to have a towbar fitted and this may delay delivery. They are heavily committed coming up to Christmas.
If so, we'll consider having it fitted at a later date (first service).
John

Looks fantastic. Careful with kerbs with the 19's, those diamond cut rims a expensive to repair.
Agreed. Nevertheless, we are very used to being carefull with the Audi (and the Citroën C5 also) we have that has a similar arrangement where the tyre provides no protection to the wheel.

Agreed. Nevertheless, we are very used to being carefull with the Audi (and the Citroën C5 also) we have that has a similar arrangement where the tyre provides no protection to the wheel.
Right, so well versed in kerb avoidance. Funnily enough our family car is an A4 Avant with stupid 19 inch wheels. Every corner has somehow been kerbed badly. I want to repair them but it'll cost over $1200 to do properly. At that price I'd be tempted by aftermarket replacements!

Keep it a few more years lowpugV2 and the scruffed up wheels on the Audi will be insignificant.
Our first A4 1.8T Quattro lost $10K per year of ownership. The 2nd is past 18 years, and whilst there is some damage to 2 of its wheels, purchaser (if I was to sell), would not worry about a few scuff marks on the wheels; and I would be happy with whatever I could get.
So, lowpugV2, my advice, don't bother but that only applies/works if you don't look at them. Nevertheless, I can understand if they piss you off every time you see them, they need to be repaired/replaced.
There are quite a few variety of paints available now days with a little bit of elbow grease and fillers, your wheels will be respectful in no time, bear in mind that you can work on one wheel at a time by taking a small risk of not having a spare.
John

Have taken delivery today, straight out of the showroom!
Bloody nice machine.
It will be enjoyed.
John
PS: There was some problems with the 2 towbar wiring looms that we had elected to purchase to accomodate conventional "globed" trailers and "LED" trailers.
20211223_114212.jpg

Nice! Early Xmas present. Watch out for the double demerits...