508 GT Mirror indicator fail

metulmykul

VIP Paid Subscriber
Tadpole
Greetings all.
After being informed that my left side mirror indicator is out of action (2012 508 GT) I grabbed a chinese knock off for 20 aus pesos.

Turned up, works fine under 3rd party power but not in situ...

Thought I may have pinched a wire when replacing a speaker, but no. Doesn't seem possible.

Am I missing something here or is the issue possibly with part 9659997680?
Let's just call it left door control box.
All mirror activities work fine.

Any thoughts or actions most appreciated.

Folding mirror? Most likely a broken wire in the harness where it bends the most.

You'd need to dismantle the mirror to get at it. If a wire is broken, it will be inside the harness where it turns. You need to free the mobile part and free the harness, then strip some strapping to reveal the individual wires. It would be easier if you remove the mirror, but that involves removing the door trim. Unless you know the pin allocations, remove the door trim and partly strip the mirror you can't really get at the harness to test for a break without removing insulation.

This is a bit brutal but shows how to remove the cover to get inside the mirror.

The following may assist ...
Turn the mirror glass inwards as much as you can and unclip it from behind at points #2 ...
1707721581257.png

Take out the motor.
Unclip the outer shell 3 via the clips b.
1707721672081.png

Unclip the surround at c and remove it.
1707721771937.png

Then you can remove the lamp, the lower casing and get at the mobile part and the harness.

Thanks again, David.
Will drop the door card and mirror again tomorrow and see if i can inspect the wiring harness with a little more detail.

If you remove the door trim and mirror assembly it should be fairly easy to work out via the wire colours at the lamp and socket.

All good, David.

Disassembled mirror housing again. No visible breakages or major turns in wiring that i could see in that limited area.

Back out with multi meter...
Probes were not quite contacting. A couple of paper clips sorted that...12 volts available.

Reattached for to indicator for no joy.

Closer inspection revealed $20 chinese part needed a slight adjustment to ensure full connection with power supply.

Chook dinner!