508 GT impressions at 4-months ownership

Glenn Drake

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
After now owning my new 508 GT for a few months I thought I’d share some first impressions.

Firstly, I’m amazed at how many comments I’ve received from strangers. The styling is sure proving a hit, with most people commenting on what a beautiful looking car it is!

Comfort and ride are both excellent. I drive 99% of the time in “normal” mode. There is Comfort, Normal, Economy and Sport modes.
Pleasing to note that the Sport mode is far more serious than this mode on other Pugs I’ve owned. The steering weights up and the suspension stiffens giving a real sporty feel.
Gear changes with the 8-speed auto are wonderfully smooth, often you need to check the dash readout to see that it is in fact changing gears.Only grumble is if you really stab the accelerator then lift your foot off it annoyingly holds the gear for too long.
I have played with most of the features including letting the car automatically stop and start to crawl along with bumper to bumper traffic. The car will even keep within the lane autonomously without you touching the steering.
The cruise control is typically French in that it is way too complicated to use, but once mastered it’s brilliant. Set the speed and if you approach another vehicle going slower the cruise will adjust and maintain a safe distance automatically.
Because the pug also reads speed signs (which are displayed on the dashboard) when you reach a new speed zone whilst in cruise control it will “ask” if you want to now cruise at the new limit. Very handy.
However, I do think cars have too much driver interaction, and I find the auto lane departure annoying mostly and turn it off.
The stop/start function is also turned off as I’m not a fan of this either.
Interestingly the auto boot opening with a wave of your foot under the bumper - feature I thought of as complete toss has in fact been really useful when you have your hands full!-
The 1.6 litre engine does a good job, propelling the car to 100kmh slightly quicker than my old 2.2 diesel GT, but I would prefer something bigger. There’s no avoiding the fact the engine is really spinning over if you want to drive it enthusiastically.
Anyway, enough for now.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs IMG_1583310206.177929.jpgIMG_1583310227.844829.jpg

Love these cars great car man. Looks really good, very nice curves and lines. The interior is also very well laid out. I would also agree with you regarding a 1.6t a 2t or 2td would've been nice.

Wonderful car with a brilliant chassis.
It's really sad that their biggest petrol engine is now a 1.6.

I haven't seen one on the road in WA yet. I've seen Teslas, Maseratis, even a few Rollers but alas no P508 GTs...Its a real shame, I sat in one at the dealers...noice. Have any been sold in WA?

I'd really like to swap my current family hauler for a new 508 wagon. I am worried that the 1.6 turbo won't be efficient enough though.

My current car is a 2015 2.0 TFSI (165kw version) Audi Avant and it drinks ~14litres per 100 on the normal commuting week.

If the 508 would do a consistent 10L/ph then I'd be buying - once there's a few on the second hand market.
As much as I like cars I can't pay for the initial depreciation!

You probably needed a 508 diesel as these average less than 7 litres per 100 overall, much less on the highway.

If it helps, my 3008 with a related engine, no start stop, (and less power) and only 6 speed auto does 10.5L/100 in 100% city driving.

If it helps, my 3008 with a related engine, no start stop, (and less power) and only 6 speed auto does 10.5L/100 in 100% city driving.

I get 7.1L/100km combined city freeway (50/50) 3008 6sp auto petrol.

6.1L/100km Newcastle to Sydney CBD return.

You probably needed a 508 diesel as these average less than 7 litres per 100 overall, much less on the highway.

I would, but i don't really want to go down the diesel path. I very nearly bought a previous gen 508 wagon. Nice enough, just uninspiring.

I like the new ones because PSA has but genuine effort into building a lighter structure and they do look excellent, inside and out.

I also get 6L/100km on the highway in the 3008. A week of full time Sydney driving will see the 10L/100km or so figure.
The cars weight is about the same (within 100kg) so I suspect the 508 with its 8sp auto will be about the same as the 3008 in the real world.

Hmm, thanks for the relevant info - that gives me a fair idea of what to expect. We do a lot of stop start driving in Sydney traffic so that's what really matters. To be fair, a full EV is what need 5 days a week.

Hmm, thanks for the relevant info - that gives me a fair idea of what to expect. We do a lot of stop start driving in Sydney traffic so that's what really matters. To be fair, a full EV is what need 5 days a week.

Same!
To put it in perspective, my other car, a Focus with 1.5T does 11.5L/100 in the same city driving (with stop start disabled).

Wow, comparing my car to the 508 - Audi wagon 1610kg tare mass, 508 - 1390. That's a sizeable difference given their dimensions are very similar.

Same!
To put it in perspective, my other car, a Focus with 1.5T does 11.5L/100 in the same city driving (with stop start disabled).

It proves you cant beat physics and thermo dynamics. Moving weight with power requires the same energy.

I just checked trip meter #2 on the 2019 GT and it tells me I’ve averaged 7.8/100 over 3,700km, 99% city driving.

The 1.6 is not a slow or lazy engine by any standards, and is adequate for most I would expect.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

That’s a very high average speed for “city”

City generally means around 25km/h average.