508 2.0 HDI oil leak

tristoosam

Tadpole
Anyone to tell me what is this thing :)
Well, after some oil leak diagnosed as High pressure fuel pump seal leek and $550 repair, oil started to leak again after couple of weeks. Took my car back and now I am told it is main oil seal and they are asking $1200 to repar. Before I went back ,I went under the car and I took couple of photos of parth I believe is fuel pump and where leak is coming from.
could anyone confirm to me, Is this Fuel pump leak?
Appreciate any coment .
Cheers
DC0F63CA-05B5-4EDA-881E-F02C38D3E2A2.jpegEC7A8A7F-8E45-429E-B6EA-6049A0B97867.jpeg

Crank case breather system may not be operating properly ,causing pressure in the crank case, resulting in these oil leaks ,pugs

Yes that’s the fuel pump I would have a look at that turbo pipe looks a bit wet and common to leak.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

which one is turbo oil pipe? It looks to me as oil from fuel pump dripping down on that big black pipe.

where is crank case breather :)
Sorry to ask silly questions, but I didn’t do much on this cars. Had 308 for long time, and never had any problems. Oils, filters etc was only job I did on that car. After accident , I grub me 508 petrol turbo, and too many problems. Under 60k turbo replaced, timing chain , water pump, all together $8000. Peugeot covered most of it. Oil leak started week after all this was done and back to service....I swaped it to diesel and so far, what ever was mentioned on this forum , is happening to this car. Yesterday , rear door window just dropped down and now I am chasing that lifter mechanisam too :) ... I love Peugeots and I will not give up on them. Beautiful to drive but, it looks I have to pull it apart to learn how to maintain it. I don’t believe car garages in Perth. This oil leak is obviously not main seal as diagnosed by this garage mechanic...

Last edited:
still oil leak problem , omg...no end
possible “second sump” oil leak ? anyone did that before?

Is this an RHH motor? I am having trouble with the photos. Is the wet stuff oil or diiesel?

A main seal leak will leak into the clutch bell housing, and drain out the bottom. The fuel pump is on the end of the camshaft at the rear of the head. The turbo is behind the engine and has an oil supply leading to it.

RHHs are pretty reliable. They are also fitted to Ford Mondeos and Volvos.

it’s 2012 , not sure for engine model and leak is definitely oil...
mechanic is saying 90% it’s second sump leak, but to reseal it, oil pump must be removed as it is chain driven and apparently it’s big job.

Last edited:
In 2012 it's probably an RHH motor (look for these letters in the VIN), otherwise called DW10CTED4. The previous engine was RHR. The lower part of the RHH engine is shown in this diagram to help you solve the leak location.

oil.jpg

Under the crankshaft there is a sheet metal shield (yellow) then a casting (green). The sump (blue-green) is bolted under that. The olil pump is inside this space, and is chain driven from the crankshaft. The large fitting on the side of the engine (decanteur) ventilates the crankcase and separates oil vapour, which drips down into the sump. Blow-by gas runs up the tube to be fed into the engine.

oil separator.jpg

Removal and resealing of the sump is simple, but a bit of a pain. There are many set screws around the edge, but the factory sealant is also a strong adhesive. It takes a bit of work to scrape it off. Replace with a similar sump sealant. Leaks elsewhere might involve a lot more dismantling.

carter.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently, leak is between engine and “ upper sump”, or on the photo red gasket between engine block and aluminium sump.
I guess, procedure will be
Belt off
Front engine cover off,
remove chain from oil pump,
remove sump 1
remove oil pump
?
?
drop sump 2
change gasket
back in reverse order
Anything i missed? Is this job for professional mechanic?
(I do have some experience in removing engine heads from Falcons and other cars, manual gearboxes off, front suspensions, axles etc. )

I have never heard of a leak here, but dmccurtayne is your man for disasssembling this far. I have never had to dismantle one of these engines which give little bother.

The "upper sump" housing has fittings at the front - see pic above. I don't think the oil pump is attached. The pic also says the gasket is silicone - possibly as adhesive as the lower sump.

PS The sump silicone is so hard to separate you will likely bend the sump a little, necessitating straightening the flange before refitting. It uses a high temperature sump sealant; you can buy it in the parts shops.

The oil pump is removed without taking the cam belt off I’ve never seen a lower half leak I would be looking at the turbo piping especially the turbo intake pipe at the back of the motor

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Pipes labelled graissage turbo on the diagram.

Rather congested area at back.

Thank you so much ppl.
I am with 5th “ europian car mechanic” at the moment and he is clamming, “gearbox off , sumps off, front of the engine off timing belt off” and $2000 bill. I don’t mind if that’s what will stop oil leak.
Also he claims , second sump is holding main shaft as well.... So my understanding is second sump gets off without removing oil pump, or oil pump is off but cam shaft stays and no need to do anything on front of the engine ?
It looks like it’s a time to get good “repair manual” book . Any recommendation?

IMG_1567729306.254287.jpg

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

There seems to be BS floating around.

If it is a rear main oil seal, then it is indeed gearbox off, but not the front end. They leak out under the flywheel, so it isn't likely.

If it isn't leaking there, look at the photo I posted of the upper sump casting for the RHH engine. There is no provison for this fitting to hold crankshaft bearings, it is simply a box with no bottom. The timing belt etc at the front is quite independent. Some aluminium blocks have a section here to stiffen the crankshaft mountings, but the HDI diesel uses a heavy cast iron casting.

Confirm that it is the RHH motor - those letters are in the VIN starting at digit 6.

Follow up dmccurtayne's suggestion. He was a pro Peugeot mechanic and has seen most problems so knows what is most likely. This suggestion is a comparatively simple fix. The RHH engine has a deserved reputation for reliability. I suspect a leak out of a block component is unlikely.

The PSA 2L diesels are also supplied to Ford for the Mondeo. If you can't find a Pug experienced mechanic, there may be a Ford one in Perth. The Mondeo has a different turbo arrangement, but the main components match.

Last edited:
The sump/rear main or the fuel pump?
If it is a the fuel pump and it is engine oil leaking past the shaft seal, you could match up just the lip seal and replace it. Reading trough this thread about the 'sump' leak, if it was at the gearbox end, that could well have been the rear main seal and/or the two small seals that fit into the sides of the rear cap. To replace those two $2 seals, you have to remove the gearbox, drop the upper sump to get at the cap and must also replace the rear crank seal - a large job. The rear crank seal is definitely a gearbox out job, but the sump can be removed independently from below for a reseal. Spend a little more time on diagnosis and try the cheap option of a stop leak additive, which might slow it to acceptable seepage.