505 ZDJL - Engine Specifications/Details

Mike L

Fellow Frogger
Hi All,

I working on a research paper for Uni looking at oxygenated fuels and their effects on performance and emissions. While I'm working on the project i have access to some high tech software for simulations (AVL Cruise) and I would like to be able to model the ZDJL engine from the 505.
As i have one in the Turbo 504, I would like to see what effects running it on E85 would do.

So i'm chasing as much detail information on the engine that i can, such as the basics:
  • Firing Order
  • Bore/Stroke
  • Compression ration
  • Conrod Length
  • Piston pin offset
  • Blow by Gap
  • Mean crankcase pressure
Advanced details:
  • Piston Surface area
  • Cylinder head surface area
  • Valve spec (Valve clearance, Inner valve seat diameter)
  • Cam specs (Valve opening (deg), Cam length (deg))
  • Flow coefficients at valve lift heights
  • Injector details
I'm hoping that most of this might be available in a engine workshop manual, that some one has lying around.

Regards,
Michael

The only thing to keep in mind with e85 is it attracts moisture, flex fuel if your ecu can do that, so also rusts your tank and lines.

You have to redo all your fuel setup to run it bigger injectors towards 1000cc , and also if it’s a car you don’t use much I wouldn’t use e85 because it gums up and turns to jelly very quickly. Every time you start it you have to warm it up other wise moisture into exhaust and inlet, must have an oil water seperater. To drain it every time you start it.
If you’re planning on running standard components I wouldn’t bother on e85 as 15pound is your limit. Give or take.

Advantages of e85 is more boost and timing, if you Have got head studs made for better clamping of the head. Some times you need a slightly bigger turbo to take the more boost as the torque curve can drop quickly.

Callum has a healthy zdj turbo 98octane and is about to convert to flex fuel. He might be able to help.

I was going to tune my 505 v6turbo race car on e85 but it sits more than doing events, but a good tuner can tune 98 perfectly like they did mine.
My car made 226kw atw on 98 9.1 compression ratio and 12pound of boost. And tuner stated I could get 300kw on 98 as turbo is efficient. It’s a 605v6 standard engine with 1.1mm off the piston to lower compression.

As for zdj
There are 2 style, leaded engine or the lower compression unleaded engine which I think is 8.8:1, you can get pistons made to suit a late model ring design.

1,3,4,2 is the firing order

For turbo applications rule of thumb is 7tho per every inch of bore,

Bore is 88mm.

Hope this helps.
BP