505 ZDJL boost

ozzster314

Fellow Frogger
Any thoughts on the possibility of adding boost to a 505 Peugeot STI with the 2.2 litre ZDJL engine.. The engine is tough and there have been stories of people adding low boost before, wondering if anyone knew of any sites or resources.

from what i head they are anythig but tuff..

weak heads aparantly.. please corect me if im wrong casue id love nothing more then a T3 sitting down nere my stearing rack spolling the STi to a land of KW where it should be..

This is why the pety turbo's were bassed on the 2L engine.. as teh 2.2.. higher slightly higher compression which is the naturally born enemy of boost lol.. and other things just made it not a viable option..

Commodore v6's go in.. and a bolt on supercharger will see you with a push rod with 270kw..

I think there is a problem wit hthe fueling using the standard mechancial injection system..

im by no means an authority.. please correct me if wrong.. id love nothing more myself then a turbo'd sti in my drivway .. "sigh"

AFAIK, the problem is with block stiffness.

The 2.0L Renault version could be turboed, and was, but all the turbo (and the 12v) models have a weird brace around the sump which helps reinforce the block.

The 2.2L version in the 505s has the extra stroke, therefore the block is higher and less robust. Not a good thing.

You could still run low boost. Or a supercharger.

I'd buy a TI motor and work out how to turbo that (or use a carby turbo.)

bowie:
.....This is why the pety turbo's were based on the 2L engine.....
Whatever 'pety' means, I imagine you're saying that the factory turbos were on the XN engine.

Not so... they were a Simca engine, as you'll find if you go to Dave McBean's website. I don't know why, maybe the iron block was stiffer and they didn't want to fiddle with the alloy blocks for a short production run.

Also, while high compression is a problem with turbos, for a factory job it would have been absolutely no trouble to fit low compression pistons.

I would also go with the XN engine, as mentioned... just make sure you have a very good head gasket and get it perfectly placed over the liners.

Ray, you're obviously not familiar with Westy lingo if you're not sure about pety. :)

bowie might be referring to the 2L version of the ohc motor in the STI/GTI, which was used for the R21 Turbo and the R25 Quadra (*drool*). Not for the Fuego turbo, though.

Gus:
Ray, you're obviously not familiar with Westy lingo if you're not sure about pety. :)

bowie might be referring to the 2L version of the ohc motor in the STI/GTI, which was used for the R21 Turbo and the R25 Quadra (*drool*). Not for the Fuego turbo, though.
Was actuallt R21 Turbo, R21 Turbo Quadra (the all wheel drive system that was originally developed for the Espace). Dont think there was an all wheel drive R25. The R25 Turbo used the PRV V6 for serious grunt :D

But the J series motor we are talking about is bloody tough - there is a guy in the UK with an R21 Turbo Quadra that has the motor tuned to develop well over 300 bhp and it does 0 - 100 kph in 4.5 seconds head_ban - all on the standard crank, block and heads (race pistons and some other goodies though)

hih yeah sorry my quote about "petty" wasnt designed to have a go at teh older engines.. i was refering to the petrol turbos that existed in the STX? or what ever it was called of teh 505..

the iron block was the difference i couldnt remember.. lol wink

and as for commie v6 in pug being Sacrilege...

i was pricing a rover v8.. and well $$$$$$

and sadly.. a GmV6 woudl eb realiblae.. easy to maintain.. and a cheap power allternitive.. as much as i would hate to do it tho.. :sigh: and teh money involved geting a prv to a simialr out put.. well same as the rover.. frown

as soon as i get some extra money, im gonna put a new engine in my pug, just getting some options together. Being in the United States i have really no one to turn to locally, but it would be cool to have a suped up 87 peugeot 505 , soooo sweeet

suped up 87 peugeot 505 , soooo sweeet
oh indeed it would.. wink

your in the states.

sr20 from nissna would be fun no ?? wink

yeah i was lookin into a nissan engine, the engine bay on the 505 is large so it wouldnt be a problem there, and i would love to get rid of the ZF tranny ( :mad: bad memories on that)

would love to see a 50/4/5 being powered by a Toyota 1GZT their 2.5 DOHC V6 Turbo.. or is it twin turbo.. :S:S i cant rember now..

no its Twin turbo..

prob just fit a slightly bigger turbo and get rid of half that extra plumbing ..

i need 200od kw at the wheels at least :'(

bowie:
i was pricing a rover v8.. and well $$$$$$

and sadly.. a GmV6 woudl eb realiblae.. easy to maintain.. and a cheap power allternitive.. as much as i would hate to do it tho.. :sigh: and teh money involved geting a prv to a similar output.. well same as the rover.. :(
Let's see. A PRV V6 2.7l in standard injected form pumps out about 130bhp. These have lower compression than the 2850cc ones... Cost: Nothing for the motor, and $600 to rebuild it yourself (new rings, bearings, gaskets, etc.). Add a Toyota supercharger from a Supra or similar. Cost: $300. Add a few hundred for bits and pieces, such as a K&N filter and some plumbing for the air pump. If the guys in NSW can get their act together we might even have a source of extractors. :)

I reckon 200bhp would not be out of the question. And you'd have loads of torque, a genuine 505 motor (they sold them in France) but with a few after-market tweaks. Even a purist would allow us some leeway, such as a small supercharger, no? :)

It isn't 200kW, but it's a lot of power for not much money.

Talking of lots of power, I was talking to Rob Cherry from Victoria the other evening, and he has his V6 GTi off the road while he adds a second turbo...
:D tongue dance cheers!

Cheers!
John Lane.

Cost: Nothing for the motor
dont know of anyone else who is throwing such an engine away..

thast really not expensive at all.. lol

must go vist some wreckers..

bowie:
Cost: Nothing for the motor
dont know of anyone else who is throwing such an engine away..

thast really not expensive at all.. lol

must go vist some wreckers..
Yep. I was given two, bought one for $50 (along with a 604 gearbox and some other bits and pieces) and bought a complete 264 Volvo for $300, running.

Rob Cherry reckons you can buy a decent 2850 motor as your starting point for a re-build for $250 in Melbourne from the wreckers. So, if you choose that source, the most expensive, you are up for $250 more than the figures I gave. :)

I must warn you, though, once you've put one of these together you'll want to do another one. They are an incredible piece of engineering. The bottom end is bullet-proof. The top end is elegant. The crank-case is a giant aluminium sandwich. Everything is just beautiful. :) Makes any other motor look like a hunk of old iron. :D

Cheers,
John Lane.

hmmm yeah .. i should just buy my brothers 87 505 STX V6 and take his motor and rebuild it, then do like you said. Hes sellling it for 300 US dollars and i could get it for 200 . Not bad

Both the 2664cc and 2849cc Volvo Motors sell for about $250 at Pick & Payless in Tatersall Rd Blacktown, Sydney.

They always have a few 264 Volvos with the 2.7
I've only ever seen one later 264 with the 2849cc engine there, although it's now a year or two down the track and there's probably more there now, due to the age of these cars.

Dave