505 (XN1 engine) not starting - help required (Sydney)

beat

Fellow Frogger
Hi fellow froggers,
I'm new to old Peugeot's (having owned a 307 and 308 some time ago). I do have some - but limited - mechanical knowledge and tools and wonder if anyone can help me out.
I've been overseas and haven't started my 505 SR (2 litre carbie engine) for over 2 weeks, it was running fine before. Now I cannot start it, it cranks over fine. I did have some spark (but don't know if it's "good"). Also sprayed some starter fluid into the air intake - that didn't help neither. After a few attempts I've also noticed that there's a little bit of noise coming from near the left hand side of the firewall (see attachment). What is that part (couldn't even find it in the workshop manual)? No idea if it's got to anything do with it, but since I've noticed I thought I'll mention it.
I'd like to get the car running as soon as possible, as I'd like to help the French in the Battle of Waterloo next Sunday.

Now my questions:
- Does anyone know of a mobile mechanic in Sydney (preferably South) who's happy to work on old Peugeots.
- Anyone in (southern part of) Sydney who could help me? (I live in Woolooware/Cronulla) - I know it's a long-shot, but doesn't hurt to ask...
- What is that part circled in the attachment?
Any other comments are appreciated.

20180610_103316-highlighted (Large).jpg20180610_103320 (Large).jpg

Cheers, Beat.

Last edited:
Yes, it's definitely the cabin fan, it's not unusual for them to make a noise particularly if it's not been unused for some time, worth just putting the fan control to high and running for a few minutes as that can settle them down, it's important o note that there is no off position for the fan, so whenever the ignition is on the fan will run.
Regards
Neil

Given that the relay says "starter" I wonder if that has shorted or gotten full of moisture? Although if the engine is cranking? Dunno, but cars get cranky if they don't get driven!

Yes, it's definitely the cabin fan, it's not unusual for them to make a noise particularly if it's not been unused for some time, worth just putting the fan control to high and running for a few minutes as that can settle them down, it's important o note that there is no off position for the fan, so whenever the ignition is on the fan will run.
Regards
Neil

Thanks for that. Makes sense then (I had fan control turned off and still noise). Just wonder why there's no mention of this in the "under bonnet view" in the workshop manual.
Learning all the time...:)

All good. Running again. Tried lots of basic stuff like check for sparks, starter fluid, contact cleaner etc... no go. Then when a mate turned up we tried again and it started. Maybe it took a while for the contact cleaner to work...?!?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Regarding the fan (which is circled in your photo)......coincidentally, I posted about them today in another thread. And regardless of whether it is applicable to a 306, it is definitely applicable to a 505.
The fan bearings/bushings get dry with age and need lubrication. Your is easy to take out as the insulation has already crumbled off the outside....as they all do, eventually. Just undo the three nuts towards the centre there and it should come out. You could squirt WD40 on it and that will fix it temporarily, but it won't last. Oil is better, if you can get it in there. There are two bearings/bushings.....inner and outer.

BTW, I too have an SR. Great cars !

See my post in this thread :
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/132538-new-brazilian-frogger-306-s16.html

Last edited:
Glad you got it going. Whatever it was it's dried out and all good now.
I still think if you zoom in and enhance you'll see a little relay next to the blower fan. It's marked starter. Definitely a relay. Probably the source of the noise. Was it a mad clicking?

My theory is in the heavy rain water got in to that as it's mounted in an unusually exposed section where water could overflow into off the scuttle.

Thanks to Robbo's diagnostics it's now permanently fixed (as to the temporary contact spray fix). One of the screws for the ignition module had a worn thread and the module was not tightly screwed onto the backing plate. A couple of nuts and bolts (and some dielectric paste) fixed it for good. It starts now easy even in freezing temperature on wet grass.
Next thing to tackle now is the noisy fan...

Don't undo the fan bushings at either end of the motor.....you'll never repair them successfully. I stand by my comments above. Oil is best, WD40 works for a quick fix which won't last long.