505 wheel trims

pontarriere

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Our 1984 wagon has the large plastic wheel trims which I have never liked. Someone gave me a set of the small metal trims which were used on the very early 505s. I would like to use them but I'm not sure how they fit on the wheel. I'm guessing something fits in the hole in the wheel centre and then the trim clips onto that. Does anyone know how this works - and if so does anyone have a set for sale?
ResizerImage829X414.jpg
ResizerImage1290X645.jpg
ResizerImage921X460.jpg

Those wheel trims you currently have are great...they are inset from the rim so never get gutter rash, and although I think you need to take off the wheel nuts to get them off (not sure on that), you can put them on by simply pushing them on past the spring clips.
I liked the look of mine...are you sure it's not a case of the grass being greener ?.........................:cool:

Those wheel trims you currently have are great...they are inset from the rim so never get gutter rash, and although I think you need to take off the wheel nuts to get them off (not sure on that), you can put them on by simply pushing them on past the spring clips.
I liked the look of mine...are you sure it's not a case of the grass being greener ?.........................:cool:
I find the plastic ones flimsy and they are often a bit loose. Also hard to reach standard length tyre valves. I think the metal ones look more functional and give better brake cooling. I'll see what replies I get to the post!

This plastic trims came on the first ever 1980 505 Gr onto Australia. They are for 504 type wheels with the square where the hubcap bolts into. Don’t think they will work different shape.

Those 14” SR SLI steelies are great, I think from memory those wheels can take any aftermarket hub cap as the middle doesn’t stick out as much as the GR wheels.

You might be able to find 1983 GR have a lion that fits into the centre like your wheel. Quiet rare as they where only for 6-12months but they look great.
I might have. 1 somewhere to show you what they look like.

Hope this heaps

BP

This plastic trims came on the first ever 1980 505 Gr onto Australia. They are for 504 type wheels with the square where the hubcap bolts into. Don’t think they will work different shape.

Those 14” SR SLI steelies are great, I think from memory those wheels can take any aftermarket hub cap as the middle doesn’t stick out as much as the GR wheels.

You might be able to find 1983 GR have a lion that fits into the centre like your wheel. Quiet rare as they where only for 6-12months but they look great.
I might have. 1 somewhere to show you what they look like.

Hope this heaps

BP
Thanks for all that info!