505 V6 Conversion Questions.

Pug_405_Mi16

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi,

I have the chance to pick up a fairly straight 1985 505 GTI Body and am thinking about using it for a V6 conversion. But I have several questions!

1. I know where there is a Volvo 760 for wrecking, I know that it's the same V6 so I assume there would be no probs just bolting the 760 motor into the 505 ? Although I realise I would have to use 505 V6 engine mounts to make it happen !

2. What about gearbox's ? I am thinking that I can live without powersteering for the sake of being able to use a 5 speed..has anyone ever used the 5 speed out of a Volvo...can it be used ? or otherwise where could I pick up the required items ?

3. Anything else I need to be thinking about ?

Cheers

Ben

Volvo 5 speed might be hard to find. Also the back would need modifying to run the torque tube.
What happened to the engine/gearbox out of that GTI?

Pugnut 403
The electronic injection equipment was sold to someone in the north of the state, I have the gearbox plus seats,diff etc. The engine is possibly still available. The gearbox is the one mentioned in the BA7/5 thread.
Bob D

yes my 5sp box is making some lovly noises at teh moment and all sources tell me to run away before it implods on me.
and im having trouble finding box's with cogs that arnt destoryed either...

just wondering.. if one was to do the RPV conversion... how readably availbe are all the neccessary bits .??

The reason I asked is that I am considering pulling the engine and auto out of my 604 and selling them to someone who wants to convert a 504 or something, and inserting a 505 GTI with 5 speed. Should be a lot cheaper than converting a V6 to manual, and maybe a little easier on fuel too.