505 To the Rescue

baldrick56

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

eventful weekend {or at least half of it} - big gathering at my place since we'd recently had five birthdays closely spaced, as yet uncelebrated. So a picnic was the objective, all provisions bought, Saturday morning we were ready for departure. I'd not used the 505 wagon in ages so decided to dust off the cobwebs and use that. Brother-in-Law used his much more modern XC60 Volvo so seven of us convoyed in the two cars out West. I was carrying the all important Barbecue, large Esky, 20L of water, bags of charcoal, provisions etc. Two hours later we stopped for a reviving coffee near Bathurst, suitably refreshed we were about to saddle up again when B-i-L uttered the words "do you think that's a lot of water for the aircon to chuck out?" We all studied the liquid trail making its way forward from under the Volvo, popped the lid to be greeted by a dribbling top hose and diminished header tank.

NRMA duly called and an hours wait advised we decided to attempt a 'bush' fix - self attempted to wrap short bits of gaffer tape tightly round the hose to be rewarded with singed fingers worse than the Barbie could impart :) NRMA guy arrived while we were thus entertained and gave us a long monologue - a soliloquy even - the gist of which was firstly that I was urinating contra-opposing air currents with my tape {I knew that but it passed the time}, secondly that we wouldn't get anyone locally to even consider tackling such a nasty foreign object and it'd have to be towed back to Sydney - or possibly Orange where there's a main dealer. News digested we enquired which of the local spannersmiths might be the least unlikely to tackle a 'forriner' and name obtained we refilled the headertank and set off gingerly intending to dump at said location - the 505 now acting as "spotter" tailing the Volvo alert for any leak increase. Joy - the gate was open when we got there - garagistes were busy fettling golfing equipment 'til we rudely interrupted them, bad news that they were booked out two weeks hence. Youngest Sister then came to the rescue with alternative mechanicien recommended by one of her friends resident in the town and third time lucky we left the Volvo to await its piece of rubber hose with unique clippy-bits at each end. This last was my sort of place - a classic Porsche 911 {70's era at a guess} sat outside the door and around the corner were an E30 BMW and an old 'humpy' Holden on a stand.

One vehicle now in the sickbay we set about removing everything out the 505, putting up the third row of seats, and re-cramming the cargo into 50% less space than it formerly occupied. The 'Magnificent Seven' were now all on one horse! Horse coped OK though there were some never-before-heard reverberations on the bigger bumps - I'm guessing we were testing the pliability of the rear bumpstops. Picnic site was very remote and at the end of a 4kM dirt-trail so none of the usual 'launch it at the bumps at 60kph and let the supple French springs sort it out,' no, picking our way ever so slow avoiding largest ridges & craters we made it. Enjoyable {if truncated} afternoon over it would have been nice to think it was all downhill on the way back - but it isn't. Victoria pass between Hartley & Mt. Vic is the steepest obstacle en-route and any thoughts that I might get a momentum building run up at it were dashed with the abrupt eruption of red and blue lights behind on the approach. Pulled over to the side my first thoughts were "Oh they want check I've filled out my Historic Rego logbook" {I had, that morning}. Just to keep its mystique of French enigmacity the 505 chose the moment the officer of the Lerrrrrr approached for the window to twitch down 10mm then seize - Merde! Well all she wanted after studying my Licennnnse was to carry out an RBT, then inform be I was committing a felony by not having an operational window. Duly promised to fix it very first thing the next time daylight hit I was allowed to go on my way - as all this was going on I heard the 'offsider' officer remark "very full car." I was crestfallen that my carefully completed log was of zero interest to the thin blue line - almost feel I've "wasted" a day now Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr But the best bit was that I could spend the next week telling my B-i-L that he really, reaaally needs to buy himself a classic Pug Wagon :cool:

some pics of the event - probably of no interest other than to me;
IMG_8190 copy.jpg
IMG_8154 copy.jpg
IMG_8156 copy.jpg

Great story - thanks for sharing!

I didn't realise that having a window that won't open was 'a felony' o_O- do you happen to know if that applies to all windows, or just the driver's?

The front windows on my Xantia wagon will only open when the driver's door is open - perhaps I'd better get the wiring repaired! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Great story - thanks for sharing!

I didn't realise that having a window that won't open was 'a felony' o_O- do you happen to know if that applies to all windows, or just the driver's?

The front windows on my Xantia wagon will only open when the driver's door is open - perhaps I'd better get the wiring repaired! :rolleyes:
Did have various passengers researching window-crime during remainder of trip - think consensus was it's not strictly illegal - but don't call me as expert witness!!

So tell me how that dunny works? I guess with all the big gibbers above and below the surface that it's not a long drop or septic so it must be chemical or ..?

I love the little weekender, wish I had one. :love:

So tell me how that dunny works? I guess with all the big gibbers above and below the surface that it's not a long drop or septic so it must be chemical or ..?

I love the little weekender, wish I had one. :love:
This is going to be pure 'Blackadder 2' ".... yes Mrs Pants this house boasts the very latest in front wall direct defecation ........." let's not go there :)
It's a composting dunny - to my own cunning plan - out of five sheets of ply on 100x50 framing. There's a vent grill in the floor alongside the bucket holder then the 'chimney' fixed to the shelf and doglegging to the outside is intended to promote airflow. The day after it was completed I realised there was a 'design fault' in that the sloping perspex rooflight works just fine but not very bushfire resistant - thus the ugly frame with mesh perched just above ruining what would otherwise have been the 'Sydney Opera House' of backyard dunnies :unsure:

505 wagon, better space/accommodation than any modern SUV...
It truly is amazing how little space there is in those stupid monster trucks everyone seems to be driving. My mum's hyundai tucson looks significantly larger than my 505 but has absolutely no space to stretch out in it, and can barely hold half of the cargo I can cram in with the back seats folded down.

The rear drive Peugeot wagons 203 to 505 were brilliant pieces of engineering and so efficient for moving people and goods. A big car like a Prado is impressive for how little internal room it really has.

The mandatory ANCAP stars seem to require C pillars about ten times greater in section now and i suppose it all flows from that kind of thing ... obviously light-on metal, different alloys and methods too

Last edited:
And yet in real world crashes they are no more impressive. The 505 had an excellent record in real world crashes. Monash University compiled a data base of outcomes of Victorian injury crashes and 505 was in the top three alongside a Volvo and a Benz. The roof of a rear drive Peugeot would stay up in a roll over.

The mandatory ANCAP stars seem to require C pillars about ten times greater in section now and i suppose it all flows from that kind of thing ... obviously light-on metal, different alloys and methods too
the sheer lack of visibility those huge pillars cause is impressive, but scary. I took a ride in an early 2000's Audi TT recently, and it felt like I was a medieval knight, with how little you can see out of it.
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

The 505 didn't have airbags or pyrotechnic seat belt tensioners both of which contribute towards occupant safety. I can't say I've seen a Prado on it's roof but I have seen other Jap 4WD's and they're not good. The utes flatten the cabs and a Pajero had a tremendous safety feature of the seat backs collapsing to give the occupants more room as the roof caved in. Curtain airbags will help in a rollover but not if you end up wearing the roof. Roll overs are not that common but outcomes are always uncertain. In a head on argument with a stobey pole or a red gum the outcome at speed will be the same whatever the vehicle but in a rollover I would prefer to be in a rear drive Peugeot with its heavy steel construction than in their later models where roof strength is not on the list. But perhaps they have improved since the weak roofed 306. All cars look like crap after an accident.

But as to the comparison between the Peugeot rear drive wagon and modern 4WD's like the Prado. The Peugeot was extremely well designed to make maximum useable space out of a limited area. I went to see the Range Rover when it was released in Melbourne and my opinion was that it had less useable space than a 404 wagon. Peugeot wagons were not bulky cars, not particularly high but achieved both excellent ground clearance and good passenger space by good engineering. The modern 4WD (I'll use the Prado because we used to be issued with them) is high, bulky, not large on useable internal space and in practice has a poor ground clearance because of a badly engineered transfer case. A car for the grazier to drive to town. In practice I always found a 403 wagon went a long way into the bush without damage. The 505 wagon design may be old (Autocar called it creaky) but for a practical vehicle to use in the country it has considerable merit.

But as to the comparison between the Peugeot rear drive wagon and modern 4WD's like the Prado. The Peugeot was extremely well designed to make maximum useable space out of a limited area. I went to see the Range Rover when it was released in Melbourne and my opinion was that it had less useable space than a 404 wagon. Peugeot wagons were not bulky cars, not particularly high but achieved both excellent ground clearance and good passenger space by good engineering. The modern 4WD (I'll use the Prado because we used to be issued with them) is high, bulky, not large on useable internal space and in practice has a poor ground clearance because of a badly engineered transfer case. A car for the grazier to drive to town. In practice I always found a 403 wagon went a long way into the bush without damage. The 505 wagon design may be old (Autocar called it creaky) but for a practical vehicle to use in the country it has considerable merit.
If only the 4x4 version of the 505 was more common

The 505 has no merit these days. It is a dinosaur.
I'd rather be in the XC 60 anytime. The crash worthiness number is 0.9 compared with 505 of 3.54.
Your are 4 times safer than an unsafe dud from the 1980's
Checkout Volve XC 60 the crash worthiness, number 66 extreme RHS. It is the best vehicle available by these rating charts
When working, it is faster, more economical and enjoyable to drive
Pigeon coupe is stirred now. Had to use COUPE rather than coup as it is a car blog

crash.png

I'd rather be in the XC 60 anytime. The crash worthiness number is 0.9 compared with 505 of 3.54.
Checkout Volve XC 60 the crash worthiness, number 66 extreme RHS. It is the best vehicle available by these rating charts
Pidgeon coupe are stirred now
View attachment 126536
volvo has always been such an incredible leader in safety. The newer volvo polestars say "since 1959" on their seat belt buckles, not when volvo was founded, but when volvo made the first car with a modern three-point seatbelt.

The 505 is from an earlier era but it still has serious merit. A Volvo XC60 like others of its type is a joke in the country and has nowhere near the capability of the 505 beyond the tram tracks. Of course it has the latest crash technology the 505 doesn't but it's still only a tin box. Overplay your hand and you'll be picked up with rubber gloves like anyone else.
The boom in SUV sales is down to an ageing and increasingly arthritic population seeking a vehicle easier to get in and out of. Manufacturers are all to eager to meet the demand at a substantial price premium over the smaller sedans.

Last edited:
Pigeon coupe is stirred now. Had to use COUPE rather than coup as it is a car blog
XC60 safer still when its boiled dry .......... 'course you won't be going anywhere :ROFLMAO: