505 SR St Wagon

XM driver

Fellow Frogger
I know this is a "how longs a piece of string" question. However, What sort of money would one expect to pay for this car. It is in above average condition inside and out. Single owner, 198,000 kms, reg till Dec.

:confused: Thankyou

Well, the wheels are worth at least $20 each. Add tyres and it might be worth $200...

Actually, there was a thread not long ago about one on e-bay... it was in the cars for sale/wanted section... maybe three months ago. Everyone jerked around and reckoned it wasn't worth anything, but I saw the car and it was.

There are those who reckon the injection setup is second rate, but I really don't know... nor do I think that should determine the worth of the vehicle. Rust is a far more important factor.

Ray Bell said:
Well, the wheels are worth at least $20 each. Add tyres and it might be worth $200...

Actually, there was a thread not long ago about one on e-bay... it was in the cars for sale/wanted section... maybe three months ago. Everyone jerked around and reckoned it wasn't worth anything, but I saw the car and it was.

There are those who reckon the injection setup is second rate, but I really don't know... nor do I think that should determine the worth of the vehicle. Rust is a far more important factor.

SR wagon is a carby wagon
Sli was the "oh we forgot to inject it model" so they stood back and threw injection at it
STI was the mechanical bosch injection which wasn't too bad
GTI was the electronic injection and about the pick of the engines

the one that was on Ebay IMHO wasn't worth anymore than $3-400
the car would have by the time you got it one the road would have cost you around anywhere from $1400-2000
and you would have still been stuck with a 505 wagon that was as slow as a wet week stuck in a tent
i looked very hard into that wagon and financially it wasn't worth the effort
if it were what it was advertised as (GTI) then it may have been worth the extra to get it but not an SLi

GR... SR... SL... they all bamboozle me for some reason. I think I have the GR sorted, but the others get lost somehow.

And I know you have a poor view of that wagon, but it was better than you reckoned.

Ray Bell said:
GR... SR... SL... they all bamboozle me for some reason. I think I have the GR sorted, but the others get lost somehow.

And I know you have a poor view of that wagon, but it was better than you reckoned.

GR and SR are basically the same car
SL only came in the SLi version as far as i know
SLi engine is the standard 505 engine with a sad injection system thrown on

as for the 505 wagon on Ebay my unlce has an SLi auto wagon and really a 404 wagon goes better and that's sad to know that an older car with less engine can motor along better
an SLi 505 is a car i would never own
i have heard and seen too many that have been nothing but problems
a lot more so than the STI versions that people seem to have doubts about

straight from a pug dealers lips when he was selling the SLi's new was don't touch one you are better off with either an STI or GTI 505

XM driver said:
I know this is a "how longs a piece of string" question. However, What sort of money would one expect to pay for this car. It is in above average condition inside and out. Single owner, 198,000 kms, reg till Dec.

:confused: Thankyou

That's a VERY low mileage figure. I'd check that out if I were you. The car is worth somewhere south of $4000, I reckon. There's a bloke in Perth with a similar one for sale for $2800. It is not too bad, but not great either. Typical for its age.

Regards,
John Lane.

Hi,

SR's and GR's are the same car except the SR has power steering and the GR has manual steering

Ben

Pug_405_Mi16 said:
Hi,

SR's and GR's are the same car except the SR has power steering and the GR has manual steering

Ben

SRs also have 5.5 inch rims, electronic ignition, lower rear springs and a plastic trim piece at the rear.

Graham Wallis