505 shocks - GR vs. STI

i still think you really can't go past a good set of yokies on a 504/504
much better value for money then the michies
michies are overpriced IMHO
even a good set of dunlops are pretty good
have you tried looking around to see if anyone can put a set of 15" rims on your centres ?
i know there are a few places around that can do this but it all depends if they can fit them to a 505 centre
i had a set on one of my cars that had the 14" rim taken off and a 15"X6" rim fitted
never had any troubles with them
not that expensive to get done either
probably cheaper than a set of alloys
BTW i had mine chromed as well with 504 hub caps on them

DTwo, I am open to other brands of tyres for sure! I suppose I don't want to spend a HUGE amount on tyres, don't want to spend any more than $130 per tyre (and even that is stretching the bugdet). I will need 5 new tyres you see, as I'm changing the size (I'd hate to see what running 3x 195/70's and 1x 185/80 would do to it if i got a flat!).

Yokies are good? I'll have a look. I suppose for 'normal' tyres we've had pretty bad experience with Dunlop (monza - ew!) and Goodyear.

My dad can get my a discount on Bridgestones and Dunlops, so if anyone can recommend a 195/70 R14 from either of those two it would be nice wink

njm,

I wouldn't worry too much about having a different size spare, providing it is roadworthy and you don't plan to drive any great distance on it. Space saver spare wheels in modern cars often have a different rolling diameter to the wheel they are replacing.

The 5th tyre saving gives you another $32.50(assuming it cost $130) to save or spend on each of the other tyres......

How wide are those rims?,

For example, you can get <a href="http://www.Bridgestone.com.au/tyre_div/selector/pattern.php?Pattern=E711" target="_blank">Bridgestone RE711s</a> in 185/60R14 and 195/60R14 wink ......lol...that profile in 14" on a 505 would probably look funny (really small)....but they are an amazing tyre and have sooooo much more grip than whatever you have on there....

Pugrambo's suggestion of having your rimsize changed to 15" makes alot of sense too, shouldn't cost too much and you get all the advantages of 15" wheels eg more grip, better range of available tyres, last longer, marginally better ride etc etc

In the end, it comes down to what kind of driver you are.
If you plan to drive "briskly", through mountains, corners, keep up with friends in much faster cars etc.....go for a decent performance tyre, preferably in 15", you'll find a 505 can be a spectacular handling car on really good tyres, you won't be sorry :D .

If you plan on just potting around, using the car as transport down to the train station or whatever, then there is a huge range of "reasonable" tyres that will cost you alot less.

erm....sorry for the thread hijack....
________
Live Sex

Last edited:
LOL!

Ask any of my friends (we just came back from a nice drive through the Black Spur - a famous bit of twisty mountain road in Vic). I drive my car pretty hard and want to take advantage of my car's handling capabilites, but its current tyres mean I really have to slow down for corners. On an 80 series profile you really feel it squirm when pushed fast through sharp corners.

I could probably get 15" steel rims from a wreckers? Didn't the late model 505 GTi wagons have them? Basically I don't want to spend too much on rims, so I think I can rule out a set of 15" alloys off a 505 GTi.

Tomorrow I'll ring around some wreckers. Its hard having a rare studd pattern size! :mad:

Well, I've been put on the waiting list for Pug 14" wheels.

Now I just need to find some good 195/70 R14 tyres! :)