505 rear shocks

GRAHAM WALLIS

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
For years I've said that genuine 505 GTi rear shocks are the only things worth using, everything else is too soft as if the makers have forgotten about the 2 to 1 leverage on these rear suspensions. Since the genuine ones are hard to get I tried a set of Records, these have been great on the front of my 504 wagon. Well, they have solved the softness problem, but really too firm, suspension not working as it should for this style of car. I have ordered a pair of Sachs tonight, see how that goes. Meanwhile if someone wants a competition style shock I can recommend the Records.

Edit​

Drove the car to get a RWC today, firstly the tyre pressures were at 40 psi, dropped this to 32 with an improvement. While not a cushy ride it does seem well balanced, fronts are fairly firm, don't know what they are but could be the original 36 year old ones. Car is an SR which is why I was expecting a soft ride. I also had a cam ground to Wade 112 spec, but probably won't use it, I do like the good torque down to 2000. Feels like a fast car, unlike the 504 wagon which has similar power.

Attachments

• 1632314362361.gif
    1632314362361.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 131
The SR have higher compression than any other XN, that's why they go alot better, from memory 8.8:1 compared to 7.8:1

For years I've said that genuine 505 GTi rear shocks are the only things worth using, everything else is too soft as if the makers have forgotten about the 2 to 1 leverage on these rear suspensions. Since the genuine ones are hard to get I tried a set of Records, these have been great on the front of my 504 wagon. Well, they have solved the softness problem, but really too firm, suspension not working as it should for this style of car. I have ordered a pair of Sachs tonight, see how that goes. Meanwhile if someone wants a competition style shock I can recommend the Records.

Edit​

Drove the car to get a RWC today, firstly the tyre pressures were at 40 psi, dropped this to 32 with an improvement. While not a cushy ride it does seem well balanced, fronts are fairly firm, don't know what they are but could be the original 36 year old ones. Car is an SR which is why I was expecting a soft ride. I also had a cam ground to Wade 112 spec, but probably won't use it, I do like the good torque down to 2000. Feels like a fast car, unlike the 504 wagon which has similar power.
Graham
I have replaced all four corners with new Sachs and am quite happy.
I have the shocks taken from the rear which I found a little stiff no name I can see on them and for the S2GTi but tubes can be removed .Yours if you want them
Peter.

The SR have higher compression than any other XN, that's why they go alot better, from memory 8.8:1 compared to 7.8:1
8.8 compared with 8.3. Got it idling properly and fixed the choke flap staying shut but now it doesn't go any good! Nothing on second barrel either probably a blocked jet or two. Only got to drive it back to the roadworthy place for the 2nd check then it all comes off, big bore exhaust going on, rattly first muffler coming out and a new Solex MIMSA coming from Der Franzose. This seems to be a manual choke TMIMA without anti pollution stuff. Fuel injection much easier to sort than 40 year old carbies.

Graham
I have replaced all four corners with new Sachs and am quite happy.
I have the shocks taken from the rear which I found a little stiff no name I can see on them and for the S2GTi but tubes can be removed .Yours if you want them
Peter.
Thanks I'll give them a try when they arrive. Do your S2 ones have a plastic dust shield?