505 Lower ball joint removal tool

pontarriere

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I need to replace the ball joints on our 1984 505 wagon and am looking for the special notched socket tool to do this. There a few on Ebay but none seem to be the right size. Apart from fabricating one myself, any other suggestions? The socket would need to be about 47mm inside diameter.

A tapered ball joint separator should do the job

Bush Mechanic revived
Loosen nut on ball joint, drive around a bit and joint should be loose
Loosen is operative word DO NOT remove nut, no warranty on this

A tapered ball joint separator should do the job

Bush Mechanic revived
Loosen nut on ball joint, drive around a bit and joint should be loose
Loosen is operative word DO NOT remove nut, no warranty on this
I think you're talking about tie rod ends - I am talking about the screw-in ball joint at the base of the strut. It's in very tight with 125 ft/lbs of torque.

504s had a similar strut to the 505, but I can't remember when the change to the later type of ball joint took place. My retired and rusting old 1980 504 has the earlier type, so it was after then, maybe with the 505. When doing 504 strut ball joints, I bought a cheap socket of the right size, and ground it down so that it had teeth that fitted the notches. Apart from being able to remove the old ball joint fairly easily, I could torque up the new one correctly.

You should be able to do the same thing with the later type ball joints. I think I used a pair of Stillsons to remove the old 505 ball joints, so I imagine your problem is more related to tightening the new ones up to the correct torque?

504s had a similar strut to the 505, but I can't remember when the change to the later type of ball joint took place. My retired and rusting old 1980 504 has the earlier type, so it was after then, maybe with the 505. When doing 504 strut ball joints, I bought a cheap socket of the right size, and ground it down so that it had teeth that fitted the notches. Apart from being able to remove the old ball joint fairly easily, I could torque up the new one correctly.

You should be able to do the same thing with the later type ball joints. I think I used a pair of Stillsons to remove the old 505 ball joints, so I imagine your problem is more related to tightening the new ones up to the correct torque?
As you say, Stillsons would get the old ones out, but a proper tool is better for tightening the new ones correctly. This afternoon I have fabricated a tool using a piece of steel tubing ground down to fit the 4 notches and welded to a very long piece of steel bar. We'll see how she goes! Back when I had 504s I made a similar ground-down socket to fit those early ball joints.+

Being a 84 should have screw in ball joints use a monkey wrench, done plenty like that, knock the tabs out first. The 504 type bj stopped in late 81. That type you need a tool. Pccv have the tool for loan. But I doubt that it’s this one.

How to tell is screw in I mean the Lca has a 15-16mm nut.

504 type tool fits in 3 prongs inverted.

Hope this helps.

BP

That's correct, the PCCV tool is for the earlier type and it is as ground down large socket.

Being a 84 should have screw in ball joints use a monkey wrench, done plenty like that, knock the tabs out first. The 504 type bj stopped in late 81. That type you need a tool. Pccv have the tool for loan. But I doubt that it’s this one.

How to tell is screw in I mean the Lca has a 15-16mm nut.

504 type tool fits in 3 prongs inverted.

Hope this helps.

BP
Screw in ones don't have a grease nipple.