505 GTI versus STI discussion

At the risk of hijacking the thread...

The Bridgestone re003 have a reasonably stiff sidewall and that does impact comfort. But you get get good response as the trade-off.

Michelin PS4 are an excellent tyre. Everything you want in one. The downside, in smaller profile sizes is that they have a soft sidewall and bugger all rim protection. Not a problem I'm sure in a +50 profile.

I haven't had a comfort concern with the 215/60-16 RE003 tyres on the Foresters (34psi all round) but that is a 16% taller sidewall than 205/55 & different suspension & mass factors confuse issues further.

Threads don't get hijacked but simply, like the conversations that they are, divert to follow the interests of participants.

cheers! Peter

Threads don't get hijacked but simply, like the conversations that they are, divert to follow the interests of participants.

cheers! Peter

Quite right.

But just remembering the original topic I am in this situation with both the STI auto and the GTI manual so I'm comparing them all the time at the moment.
The STI is now running very smoothly with the last addition of a properly fitted fuel vapour connection from the tank to cannister to manifold. It does seem to have improved the power slightly and I got 8.96K's per litre last week on a trip to Brisvegas.
It has the same tyres as the GTI, both 195/65/15's in some cheap brand and the STI seems to handle better, less body roll and a tighter cornering feel, most likely because the car has only travelled 180K where the GTI has 400K on the body, though I always thought the series 1 cars handled better than the series 2, at least my series 1 executive handled the best of any but maybe someone had spent extra on that suspension.
The Auto does make for a bit of slugliness and definitely more fuel guzzled while sitting on 4K revs at 100KPH instead of just over 3K with the GTI.
But the GTI gearbox has done a lot and has a pretty graunchy grind in 2nd, though 4th being 1 to 1 is pretty smooth and quiet.
Then the GTI had a slight tremble in the engine, I couldn't really put a finger on it but I suspected maybe a broken spring in the dizzy or a failing coil in there, so yesterday I swapped that dizzy for a beautiful clean one and voila! no more tremble.
Anyway bottom line I enjoy the STI for a totally relaxing cruise, run the air, flick on the cruise control, take it nice and easy and luxuriate.
But if the mood is for a spirited fang , despite the extra body roll, it has to be the GTI manual, using it up to just under 5K revs in 3rd and 4th and that kicks enough arse for this old turkey. In an old car that is.
Ultimately I'd like to try another gearbox and fit those Michelins and do a bit to the suspension but right now I've run out of greasy tool banging hours and just need to drive these beasts while I get the nose back to the woodworking grindstone.

"I enjoy the STi for a totally relaxing cruise.." Nailed it in one old fruit........Horses for courses! Seems to me you now have the best of both worlds. I am also mightly impressed with the changes you have wrought with "Cecil'. I would have been rapt with 8.9kms per litre.
You can't change a cars basic nature and you must remember what the STi was designed to do........effortless highway cruising in great comfort. May you have many years of pleasant enjoyment and save your "madder moments" for the GTi. After all, that was made to meet a slightly different design brief which, of course, it fulfills beautifully. Oh, by the way, I have the MGB for my moments of playing "silly buggers". Nice to have some sort of "itch scratcher" ain't it? Au Revoir et "s'amuser!":cheers:

Depends on the cruise speed Graham. That car is beautiful at legal speeds.