505 GTI versus STI discussion

Mind you, 195/65-15 gives you access to a splendid tyre: the Continental Premium Contact 5. There might not really be much point in changing the size for marginal circumference changes & lower gearing given such a good option in 195/65.

cheers! Peter
I've had the Conti Premium Contact 2 for a few years now & it's been simply amazing (coming from the Conti Eco Contact 3 which I found rubbish).
Can't wait to see if the PC5 would be an upgrade from the PC2 (at the very least I would hope performance stays the same).

I've had the Conti Premium Contact 2 for a few years now & it's been simply amazing (coming from the Conti Eco Contact 3 which I found rubbish).
Can't wait to see if the PC5 would be an upgrade from the PC2 (at the very least I would hope performance stays the same).

You should find the PC5 even better in the wet than the PC2 & similar in other respects.

I also came to the PC2 from the EC3. The PC2 is much crisper in response & better in the wet. That said, I liked the EC3 & it was best-in-class in the wet. One merit it had was very benign limit behaviour & its structural softness was remediable by tyre pressure increase to become nicely responsive.

It's no longer sold here by Conti. The last size available was 175/70-13 &, given the merit of that size for Renault R12 & derivative vehicles, its departure means a wet grip step-down to the more dubious eco-tyre alternatives remaining.

There's a mostly maroon one in the blue mountains on gumtree at the moment..

On the subject of tyres, I realised the tyres on my 306 are 195/55 r15 Conti premium contact 5. I've been really happy with them. Very grippy, very responsive wet or dry and reasonable for comfort. I am getting some fringing on the front outside shoulders but they do see some, hmm, spirited cornering...

Back to the STI and the vacuum advance pipe. Mine was fitted with a one way valve. It was clearly marked one side to carby and the other to dizzy.
If you sucked on the side labelled carby it was blocked. From the dizzy side it went through, so wrong, back to front and what's the point of a valve there anyway?
It must have been there from new which means that maybe a lot of other STI's had the same thing which would account for the thirsty slug label. It must have never advanced past 15degrees when it's sposed to go out to 53 according to my workshop manual.
I have found a couple of other problems too. There was a tag broken off one of the sensors on the water thermostat housing so the car never knew when it was warmed up.
And one of the pipes that screw into the manifold was completely unscrewed losing lots of exhaust gases and that threaded collar was seized so it couldn't be screwed back in. Solution: cut pipe, ram bolt into threaded bit and screw back into manifold and fit some bolt into end of pipe and seal it up. No more exhaust leak.
Uncovered timing belt today to see where all the oil is coming from. Looking like a crank seal.
There's still a mysterious fuel leak when filled right up. No leaks round filler tube or fuel sender or intank insert but fuel pisses out below the filler around the base of the tank. I'm suspecting a hole in the tank because if it were either of the hoses it would happen all the time, not just after being really topped up. At least it isn't a huge drama to drop out the tank. I just realized that there's an overflow pipe on the top of the tank next to the filler neck. I reckon that's fallen off. Yet another cause of excessive thirst.

Last edited:
Most of the advance is mechanical. Vacuum gives a little bit more at light throttle.

According to the FULL workshop manual centrifugal advance goes to 25degrees. Vacuum goes to 28degrees giving a total of 53 degrees.
When I first looked with the strobe it was advancing maybe 15 but I'd say the indicator probably needs resetting.
After replacing the blocked pipe with a nice piece of irrigation spaghetti it advances out to about 50 so, no Graham , vacuum actually accounts for more than mechanical. I've seen it with my very own strobe and the book says it too.

Back to the STI and the vacuum advance pipe. Mine was fitted with a one way valve. It was clearly marked one side to carby and the other to dizzy.
If you sucked on the side labelled carby it was blocked. From the dizzy side it went through, so wrong, back to front and what's the point of a valve there anyway?
It must have been there from new which means that maybe a lot of other STI's had the same thing which would account for the thirsty slug label. It must have never advanced past 15degrees when it's sposed to go out to 53 according to my workshop manual.
I have found a couple of other problems too. There was a tag broken off one of the sensors on the water thermostat housing so the car never knew when it was warmed up.
And one of the pipes that screw into the manifold was completely unscrewed losing lots of exhaust gases and that threaded collar was seized so it couldn't be screwed back in. Solution: cut pipe, ram bolt into threaded bit and screw back into manifold and fit some bolt into end of pipe and seal it up. No more exhaust leak.
Uncovered timing belt today to see where all the oil is coming from. Looking like a crank seal.
There's still a mysterious fuel leak when filled right up. No leaks round filler tube or fuel sender or intank insert but fuel pisses out below the filler around the base of the tank. I'm suspecting a hole in the tank because if it were either of the hoses it would happen all the time, not just after being really topped up. At least it isn't a huge drama to drop out the tank. I just realized that there's an overflow pipe on the top of the tank next to the filler neck. I reckon that's fallen off. Yet another cause of excessive thirst.

Fantastic what a calm, logical approach can achieve! Sounds very similar to Shane's (DC's) description of troubleshooting badly maintained Ds.

My 605 was initially really gutless (it was 14 years old and had done 70,000km when I bought it in 2009), although fuel economy was fine, and nothing really seemed wrong, except that the auto wouldn't kick down. Eventually I realised that the throttle cable had way too much free play; adjusting it fixed both problems!

Mentioned it to Goodwins (Cessnock), and they explained that they all came from the factory like that, and setting the throttle cable free-play was part of the pre-delivery service! Mine lived in Tasmania for it's first 13 years - apparently no-one ever did the pre-delivery service (only 2 were sold in Tas). It's now done about 200,000km, and it still goes very well.

Cheers

Alec

On the subject of tyres, I realised the tyres on my 306 are 195/55 r15 Conti premium contact 5. I've been really happy with them. Very grippy, very responsive wet or dry and reasonable for comfort. I am getting some fringing on the front outside shoulders but they do see some, hmm, spirited cornering...

If you're happy with the F/R handling balance, then try adding 4 psi all round. Alternatively, you might want to lessen understeer a bit & experiment with front pressure increases in 2psi increments - & don't forget to rotate & balance & align at each service at the minimum.

cheers! Peter

I've pulled this down for a timing belt to find original seals and tensioner pulley despite the previous owner supplying seals and [expensive] pulley 20,000K's ago. The dizzy pulley was a notch out and the spark plugs had been fitted way too tight by a shaved ape with no antisieze on the threads. It's a jungle out there. If anyone gets these jobs done they need to ask for the old parts that were replaced. It's so unfair when this happens.

Yes, dizzy pully a real trap. Not mentioned in Haynes, only in the factory handbook. If wrong it makes it impossible to time correctly. I had this problem with a 505 GTi auto. Overflow bottle made access difficult, couldn't turn the engine over by pushing the car and impossible to get to the crank pully nut.

If you're happy with the F/R handling balance, then try adding 4 psi all round. Alternatively, you might want to lessen understeer a bit & experiment with front pressure increases in 2psi increments - & don't forget to rotate & balance & align at each service at the minimum.

cheers! Peter

Yes, absolutely. I play around with the pressures a lot. I was running 40 front, 38 rear but have found 36 all round is a really nice balance for ride and handling - amazingly that's what the cars tyre placard says. Peugeot do know what's best I guess.

Ah, Dan: I didn't realise you were confused about Cecil being 2.2 litres. I f I'd known I would have told you. The 15 inch mags are a blessing aren't they? Keep plugging away......... Cecil will ultimately redeem himself! (Maybe) (But in my wife's eyes!) :(:rolleyes:

Yep: 36 all round is what I kept in them also. I also second the statement on Peugeot knowing what they're doing. (well, once anyway.)

Don't you dare turn it into a manual or I'll come back in the dead of night and steal it back!!!!!!:mad:
I know nothing of these things, but can you swap the 3 speed auto out for a more modern 4 or 5 speed auto? I'd imagine it's far too hard but interested nonetheless.