505 GTI series 1 aircon issues

Wilko

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
My aircon doesn’t turn on ( compressor engaging ) if I select it with the engine already running, but will engage if the aircon is selected prior to starting.
There are separate relays - one to turn the condenser fan on and another to engage the compressor. Neither the condenser fan or the compressor engage when the aircon is selected with the engine running,
but both operate if the engine is started with the aircon selected prior to starting.
I have located the relay associated with the condenser fan at the left hand front, but the relay associated with the compressor is elsewhere - maybe up near the firewall. The circuit diagram in the Haynes manual is very difficult to interpret
and indistinct and doesn’t show the location of associated relays and components. Interesting to note that the condenser fan also operates regardless of aircon selection if over temp is detected by a sensor at the bottom of the radiator.
This circuit operates engine running or not independent of the aircon.
I downloaded a heating and ventilation checks repairs adjustment article ( Automobiles Peugeot ) which unfortunately is for a series 2 and totally different to my series 1.
Has anyone have a detailed operation/ checks / repairs on a series 1 air conditioning system other than the Haynes manual?