505 GTi cooling system replacement hoses

baldrick56

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Among the many 'spin-off' jobs to do replacing cambelt on the 505 was that the radiator hoses were beginning to look a bit moth-eaten (probably OKish for a bit but they never fail at a convenient time/location). Irritatingly the ID hose diameter varies from 32mm at the radiator stubs to 38mm at the engine ends. Decided I'd attempt to make a set out of 'standard' components in silicon hose, bought two 32/35 reducers, three 45deg 35dia bends, one 90deg 35 dia bend, and the alloy joiners to stitch them all together. The plan proved sufficiently cunning for the top hose (photo)
IMG_2845.jpg

However the plan lacked sufficient cunning for the lower hose - the problem is that fitting two metal plus three silicon components (even with savage trimming with the stanley knife) into the physical separation distance just won't work, that and the compound angle is a bit more than two 45's will accommodate I think. Also a 'fail' was the section of 19mm ID silicon hose I bought to replace the 'bypass' hose (water pump to Thermo Housing) which wouldn't accommodate the bend needed without kinking flat somewhere in the run.

Dilemma now is do I go back to getting a 'standard' unit - don't have a 505 parts diagram but I think the number is '1350.64' - seems available in euroland however the bypass hose '1350.62' (I think) doesn't seem to be available anywhere I can find.

Anyone else resolved this issue?

Thanks,
Rob