505 front fenders removal

robjer

Fellow Frogger
so have taken all the screws from the top of the fender (inside engine cavity), the front anchor points, removed the bumper fastenings bolts (both destroyed), melted the glue on top and front ... now how do i remove the fender?

guess is there's other screws i haven't seen / located ... at the rear end of the fender near where the front doors are ... but how to access? a running-board type part goes along the side of the car ... seems to cover where any screws might be ... and i don't see any in the cavity to the front of the doors ... it's like the fender is press fitted from the back and fastened at the top and front to keep in place ... which would mean it just needs to be nudged off ?

any guidance appreciated

Last edited:
while i'm at it ... the guards don't match the replacements i have ... which suggests my car is a Series 1

always thought it was a S2 ...

it was built in 1983 ... an STi model ... does that make it S1 or S2?

google/internet doesn't say ...

righto thanks

bad rust found in rear of left wheal arch ... prob just leave it

should i use another glue to help attach the "new" guards? or just rely on the bolts...?

cheers Beano

my current issue is the guards i have are from a S2 ... so i'll have to work out a mod (the bolt holes are in different spots) or find S1 guards

cheers Beano

my current issue is the guards i have are from a S2 ... so i'll have to work out a mod (the bolt holes are in different spots) or find S1 guards

It was some years back now but I remember replacing a front fender on my S2. I had been given one from an S1 and it was too different a shape to modify. Maybe you could find a wrecker who might swap them for you, though they must be getting quite rare now?

Also, for adhesive some Sikalflex worked well.

Last edited:
RoberJ

I may not be worth your trouble but I thought I'd mention this outside chance.
There is this 505 in Angle Vale

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/angle-vale/wrecking/peugeot-505-wrecking/1206140948

I am not sure what folks reckon about prices.
Fenders off the car and relatively rust free maybe worth $125 each.....on the car.....considering the work $50.

I expect you don't want another car !

$1200 for the wreck is much to much in my opinion as it seems to have quite a bit missing from the rear and no motor !
See what others think is fair......maybe $500 for the car.
It has been on 'Gumtree' more than a year.

Good luck
Ted

Yeah I’ve seen that - priced not to sell!

Panels look good tho

I’ll think about it / I don’t have the room here for a donor car ..

Thanks mate

Ted certainly was a great help to me fixing my car after the smash (poignant memories in the thread quoted above).

Just adding a vote for Sikaflex (polyurethane) for the panel glue. A nice solid seam will keep the gunk out and should help prevent rust. I'd be careful using silicone sealants as they are often acid cure and tend to promote rust.

Even if you don't repair the rust you found, it's going to be worth hitting it with rust converter and paint while you have it exposed.

Afraid I don't have any suggestions on sourcing S1 guards.

Have fun,

Rob.

thanks Rob
i'll get the grinder onto it ... there will be a bit of a void but it's at the bottom near the mud guard (rear of mud guard) ... so i guess water will drain downwards ...

yeah looking for a couple in SA to save on postage

here's a pic from today..

IMG_8179.JPG

Hey Robjer, While you've got those headlights out, you may like to renew the sealand holding on the glass. Although it is a good quality sealant, it eventually gets brittle and the glass falls out.

This eventually happens to almost all Series 1 505s. It is a very common problem when they get older.
I can't say anything about series 2s....I only briefly owned one.

I used outdoor silicone. If they seem to still be holding together ok, even when you carefully try to prise them off with a bit of plastic so you don't break the glass, I still recommend putting some silicone over the top of the sealand in strategic places.

hey Beano - thanks - yes one of those lights is a replacement for one that did loose it's front...

so what do you do? your note says i take the front off and reattach with new sealant? or just go over the old sealant with new stuff? outdoor silicone ... should i try to scrape it out before i renew sealant or just go around the seam with new stuff ... squash it in with a damp cloth ...

cheers

I was leaving that decision to you.
If you scrape out the old sealant there is always the possibility that you may break the glass, so I suggested putting silicone over the whole thing.

Personally, I would use a piece of stiff plastic as a scraper and see it it will come off. Stiff plastic won't break the glass unless you are REALLY enthusiastic.
Then scrape out the lot and replace with silicone. Otherwise, just use your own judgement about where to strategically strengthen the join by putting silicone over what is there. A few big blobs, perhaps....if they don't get in the way of anything when the light is put back