505 executive

lowpugV2

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Since I'm always searching for 505's I have seen a listing for a 84 blueish silver and grey two tone car.. looks very clean and a lovely blue velour interior. I'm guessing that means it's an STi based car with kjet... And it's a 3 speed auto. And yet again in Victoria!

It seems that any decent examples left are all auto! I have resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably have to settle for that.

As a cruiser, I imagine there's not many better cars? Also, the main difference between an STi and an executive is purely cosmetic, correct?

The car is about an hour north of Melbourne, would this by chance be anyone on here?

Missed a GTi by a day more local to me (Sydney) so frustrating!

It belongs to Leon, Pugnut504. It'll be a good car

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Oh right, I must have spoken to him today!

It's not impossible to convert auto to manual - there are suitable 5 speed gearboxes around from GTi wagons. It is a lot of work though, and having a complete manual donor car is a necessity. I wouldn't recommend it for a good clean original auto.

It's not impossible to convert auto to manual - there are suitable 5 speed gearboxes around from GTi wagons. It is a lot of work though, and having a complete manual donor car is a necessity. I wouldn't recommend it for a good clean original auto.
I wouldn't convert, I couldn't do it myself so it'd be a large investment. I'd rather spend the money on refurbishment of the mechanical and electrical side of things so it runs perfectly. Then tidy up any interior or bodywork issues. What I'm really after is something that looks and feels like a 505 did when new - or as close to it as possible!

Once you start using the 3 speed auto, you will understand why I no longer worried about manuals after buying one. They are a really smooth box and the car will handle beautifully.. Just make sure you put Dextron 2 in it.

If you want that new 505 feeling, do not ever put strut inserts in the front....you will regret it, trust me. Just rebuild the original oil-filled Macpherson struts.

Interesting insight Beano. Could you add some details to rebuilding the McPherson struts? I take it the original oil filled damper units are rebuildable? How do you tell you have original struts in the car?

Crikey....all I can say is that I was once told to do this, but when I decided to do the front end in my 505, for the sake of convenience I decided to not rebuild them.
I fitted "LIP" brand from inserts and they have a good name....but the front end was just too hard in comparison to previously.
In other words, like just any old car....crap suspension. It had been beautifully soft but had a bit of a leak in one side. I stupidly put inserts in there.:mallet:

I have also had a number of 504s, one of which stood out above the rest, suspension-wise ....and it had the original struts. 504s and 505s can afford to have soft front struts because they have such looong suspension travel.

I don't know how to tell if the originals are still in the car, but there must be a difference discernible in the very top. Perhaps a different shape or something.
I believe the bits and pieces are still available to rebuild them. Just phone Lewin at Peugeot Spare Parts in Brisbane. He's "the man" for stuff like this, and he posts stuff out. You could ask him how to tell if they are still original.
When I took my old ones apart I saw that the existing oil-filled ones were really quite simple inside.

Think I've found myself a car. An 85 GTi... it's auto but it drives really well. In fact the best auto 505 i've driven - the auto suits the car well. Interior virtually looks new (blue velour) and the exterior is about 95%. Engine is good, bit lumpy when cold but smooth and pulls well when warmed up. It's also in Sydney (ish) So all good!

There is a couple of issues: The owner can't remember ever doing a timing belt - which is weird as he's maintained everything else. Done a few targa events in it etc. You'd think that would have been done! Peeking through the cover it looks newish... hmmm, a gamble then...

The front has had some paint in the past and the drivers side headlamp is not aligned correctly - seems to be pushed in by 2-3 cm. I'm assuming it's some bent brackets - crossing fingers nothing worse.

Lastly, whilst the tyres look good - they're about 7 years old and have barely been used. The owner doesn't agree that they need replacing. In my head they do. It does have a little wobble at 80 so I'm hoping new boots and a balance will sort it.

That's about it, which is not bad for a 33 year old car.

The main issue is that the car is good but I have no garage to park it in! Currently at the mother-in-laws while we search for a new flat. The garage is full of our belongings! I hate the idea of leaving a well preserved 505 on the street for a few months but I also don't want to miss out on this one.

Oh, and thanks for the info Beano! The car I drove yesterday rode very well, so no issues!

I bought a second hand silver Executive 505 as our second 505 in about 1995 and I think it was from 1984. It had blue velour interior and a sunroof. I was very proud of myself selecting that car. I didn't pay much for it and it never caused any problems. I sold it so we then had two Xantias so my wife could drive either car. I only got $1000 for the 505. Maybe the steering was a bit sloppy, but it was very zippy and I remember it fondly.