505 door won't open

So, it doesn't unlatch from either inside or outside?

wont open with either inside or outside handle ,(wagon)
central locking raises and lowers the manual lock tab
and handles feel like they should work (not floppy)

is it possible to lubricate the mechanism without removing the inner lining ?

It is possible, with a little difficulty, to remove the lining / door card. I have done it twice, but it was a long time ago.
A certain amount of flexion of the door card is necessary, but if you are careful you won't break it. You may have to pull out part of the door rubber before you do it.....but I can't remember.
I do remember that it wasn't an awful nightmare though.

How can I get rear passenger door open?

I vaguely remember there was a kiddie lock system on the rear passenger doors of my 505 (wagon) but forget the rest! Could something beyond the door have caused it to lock I wonder? I hope that makes sense. :)

ETA Thinking more about it maybe it was a little lever thing on the inside of the door, the area inaccessible when the door is closed that only caused it to lock from the inside.

Last edited:
the wagon has been sitting for some time ,
have tried levering the door up when operating the handle without success ,
neither handle works but they are not limp like when something is broken inside.

with the the kiddie lock on you should be able to open the door from the outside

First, I'd try squirting a fair amount of whatever you have (WD40, RP7. Innox etc) all over the latch mechanism (guesswork) via whatever cavities you can find, leave it for a while and see if that makes any difference. If this fails then attempt removing the inner door seal and door trim panel as Beano suggests. Let us know how things go.

All the above plus:

When working the door opening handles from either inside or outside - push the door inwards to take pressure of the mechanism.

After liberal amounts of lubricant etc as Peter has suggested, it may just unlatch and open.

I have a 505 wagon as well and its' doors haven't been opened for some years.
As it happens we moved the car the other day and found that the door latch mechanisms were working but the rubber seals had melted on to both door and frame surfaces and wouldn't allow the door to open without a great deal of force being applied.

Cheers
Roland

I have a 505 wagon as well and its' doors haven't been opened for some years.
As it happens we moved the car the other day and found that the door latch mechanisms were working but the rubber seals had melted on to both door and frame surfaces and wouldn't allow the door to open without a great deal of force being applied.

This thought occurred to me also, just this morning. It happened to my own car a while back. The door rubbers got really quite sticky.

Alpine, get inside the car from the other side, and pull the inner door handle on the stuck side, whilst thumping outwards with your shoulder.

Given that the locks are not limp and feel like they should be working, I think you will find your problem solved.

A semi-permanent solution might be to rub candle wax on the door rubbers.

Last edited:
Yeh,I forgot about sticky door seals as well!

thanks guys for your suggestions , feels like the latch not the rubbers , certainly worth a try . see how we go

door finally opened after removing inner lining and application of lots of fog juice
thanks