505 Brake squeel

GTIrally

Fellow Frogger
my series 2 505 gti consistanly squeels its brakes when braking to a stop, usually the last 20 mtrs or so, this is really annoying as my 505 looks a treat, but when i pull up at the lights the squeel is rather embarassing.
changed pads, = still squeeled (not that i was expecting it to stop)

i have already tried grease, = didnt work
and tried silicon, = didint work
has anyone else had this problem or have any other ideas

thanks in advance
jay.

Hi there and welcome to AF

I think you may find that most pugs suffer with this problem,

My used to do it at the start but then i havent had it for ages but recently it has started again.

i have seen products at autobarn and alike called stop squeel, as to what it is actually and if it works i couldnt tell you.

Cheers

Could be crappy brake pads.

Mine has a horrible squeel from the rear as once when the handbrake locked on I continued to drive the car (silly me) which has slightly damaged the disc itself, so now the brake pads squeel when they hit the lumps or whatever (haven't seen my pug for 5 weeks so can't really remember that well).

Welcome to AF!

I had the same problem with my 504, which drove me insane! :mallet:

Now I'm assuming that the brake setup on a late 504 and a 505 are pretty similar.

I solved the problem by putting a set of Lockheed pads on the car. Regans in Melbourne, who I used to get the car serviced by insisted on putting crappy pads on the car and charged like the light brigade for them. They informed me that I couldn't get Lockheed pads for the car, which I found pretty hard to believe. So I took it along to Universe Motors in Swan St. Richmond and they solved the problem without a problem! (I highly recommend these guys to all you froggies in the Melbourne area.)

So get out there and give these pads a go to see if it solves your troubles.

Cheers,
Chris.