505 alternator in a 504

keithm

Fellow Frogger
I am sure this has been dealt with before but I have fitted a Motorola alternator from a 505GR into my 504 . Can someone confirm where the connections go . I have identified the switched ign positive just not sure and don't want to damage anything . Thanks very much in advance . Keith

I am sure this has been dealt with before but I have fitted a Motorola alternator from a 505GR into my 504 . Can someone confirm where the connections go . I have identified the switched ign positive just not sure and don't want to damage anything . Thanks very much in advance . Keith

505 alternator.JPG

Here is a part scan of the 505 manual.

The box in broken lines is the alternator assembly (with internal regulator).

There are only three external connections.

1) Ground (I usually link the alternator mounting bolt straight to battery negative with a heavy cable)

2) Main output to the battery (heavy cable, M6 stud )

3) Excitation 12v+, switched via ignition, with a indicator lamp in series and then to the alternator (small terminal M4 ?)

The indicator lamp is usually 3 W/ 12V.

On a 504 I don't think there is an charge indicator lamp (other than a voltmeter) so you will need to cobble up lamp in a spare hole in the dash assy.

Best of luck.

View attachment 109150

Here is a part scan of the 505 manual.

The box in broken lines is the alternator assembly (with internal regulator).

There are only three external connections.

1) Ground (I usually link the alternator mounting bolt straight to battery negative with a heavy cable)

2) Main output to the battery (heavy cable, M6 stud )

3) Excitation 12v+, switched via ignition, with a indicator lamp in series and then to the alternator (small terminal M4 ?)

The indicator lamp is usually 3 W/ 12V.

On a 504 I don't think there is an charge indicator lamp (other than a voltmeter) so you will need to cobble up lamp in a spare hole in the dash assy.

Best of luck.

Thanks very much for the quick reply . There is a push on connecter marked B+ , would this be the excitation connecter ?

Regards , Keith

I think the B+ is referring to the stud above it and the exciter is the connecter beneath this . Thanks again

Thanks very much for the quick reply . There is a push on connecter marked B+ , would this be the excitation connecter ?

Regards , Keith

Yes more than likely. It's a long time since I'be seen a 505 Motorola alternator.

There is a reason for that. The Motorolas eventually age and get some weird claggy dark coloured stuff like glue coming out of part of the regulator. And then they clag out completely.

Better to fit a Holden alternator. Plenty of advice on here about which one and how to fit.

Finally got around to running the exciter wire today . Everything works properly and the connection was the one I thought it would . Voltage is around 14 volts with max loading . Thanks Robmac . This is a long term resto and most likely I will fit a Bosch alternator in the future but this will do for the time being . Thanks again for your input guys . Most appreciated