505 Advice

I'm also told 23-25 foot pound. Can anyone verify which it is? This or 48 foot pound?
Edit.
I just found where I asked this before and that time Peter Coates told me 48ft/lbs from Mister Haynes.
I'll go with that. Thanks.

Last edited:
It won't start.
I have good spark.
There is good fuel at the rail. But the injectors aren't squirting. The plugs come out dry after a good cranking session.
I swapped the MAF unit though it's possible the other one is also dodgy. I cleaned the terminal on the plug and the unit.
I pulled the Tachymetric relay out and had a look. It looks pristine but while cranking the relays don't move. And manipulating them has no effect.
Any clues where I should be looking?
There are relay clicks up front when the key is turned but I can't hear the fuel pump, but fuel is being pumped through as I disconnected the return from the pressure reg and put a hose into a tin and it is flowing out there.
I'll go on a binge with the multi meter tomorrow but I'd appreciate some direction.
Cheers.

Just had a thought. Do these need the crankshaft sensor to do their pulsing? Haven't fitted that yet.
First thing in the morning. How dumb!

Last edited:
Got the 505 going today. Almost. First it went for about 30 seconds and died. Investigation proved a faulty fuel pump so another old one was sourced and fitted. This one worked long enough to get the whole thing nice and warm, then failed and again, no fuel supply. Lesson learned, buy a new one.
But now it'll be ready when cold in the morning, for the first head retightening and tappets again.
And I know it goes. Whooppee!!!
Found the radiator leaked and fitted another that looks good.
I reckon I'm on the home stretch. It's been a hard week on that beast. Took much longer than expected but in the end I still believe it'll be worth the effort.

And wot an effort it's been.
Just in case anybody doesn't remember this saga, here it is minus a few dates.
I was given the car as a project way back, April 2015 actually. Drove it round Melbourne and then up to Bombala where it broke a timing belt.
My friend rescued me and we parked it in his quarry. It languished there for a long time and some time that year I dropped another engine down there to fit in and drive it home.
It was in January 2016 that I managed the time to go down and fit that engine and then attempt a return drive home with it but sadly the head gasket soon blew and I barely made it to Queanbeyan. It was stored there for a few months before I returned with a trailer and recovered it back to Stewarts Brook.
Since then our house burned down and I had bleak thoughts about it and gave it to someone who I could never arrange to meet there and then changed my mind and decided to keep it. All the while it sat in my shed with another motor waiting to go in it, sitting on a bench with a new timing belt and cam seals fitted and then I decided it should have a rear engine seal so it had the flywheel off waiting for that to happen. There was a brand new clutch in the box and then there was that big seal.
However it all seemed too hard to contemplate getting it all happening down there at the block with no place to be and no power etc. so a couple of weeks ago I dragged it back home to sunny Nimbin.
It is now proven that had I attempted to fit the engine and drive, it would have been a miracle if I made it and most likely another disaster. Thus I am very happy to be working through all the issues in peace and tranquility with resources available so it can become a car again.
It's been quite a journey for this white GTI. Looking forward to the good bit.

Last edited:
That was indeed a saga ! They're fantastic on bush tracks out there, where most other 2 wheel drives would bottom out. Also getting scarce but at least you've got old mate near Nimbin with a few spares sitting in his paddock. And Ebay has heaps of secondhand parts advertised.

I pulled the Tachymetric relay out and had a look. It looks pristine but while cranking the relays don't move. And manipulating them has no effect........... Do these need the crankshaft sensor to do their pulsing? Haven't fitted that yet.
First thing in the morning. How dumb!

Where does the tach relay get its signal from??
Jo

The intank pump isn't pumping so I swapped the tachymetric relay but no go. Finally I realised it has to be sitting on it's mount and not dangling from the wires. When it's dangling it thinks the car's on it's roof so it will cut the fuel supply. Fitted back there with another one I finally get some power to the intank line but still no action. So I ordered a new pump from Lewin. I cut the edge of the hole in the boot to expose the ends of the intank setup. Don't see how else you'd get those stiff hoses back on. A very stupid design. I have one of those knibblers that runs on a drill. Brilliant but makes a 3mm wide cut. Don't care. There should just be a bigger access plate instead of those nifty 100mm diameter plastic bungs.

Agree entirely Dan..............those bungs are just plain stupid. What's wrong with a nice big plate? However, you've forgotten the mantra....."IT'S FRENCH!" So we just have to grin and bear it I guess........... (But I do like the nibbler idea.)
Keep going,mon ami as you are an inspiration to us all! :worship:

Nice of you Dee, very generous, I thought I was more of a pain in the arse than an inspiration.:dance: But if I can help with anything I give it a go so it may have some sort of a balance.

Anyway I have to report that I'm still waiting for the pump, should likely see it tomorrow.
To amuse myself[that's because I am totally obsessive till this thing is a going concern] I'm getting the windscreen washers going so took the two plates around the wiper shafts off to expose the well that drains all the rain away.
I have some fine black rubbery tubing that does the perfect job for the washers. It's from a garden supply and is used for dripper and fine microspray extension lines. I've had a roll of it kicking round for years. It may not go hard as quickly as the clear stuff.
Also got the central locking happening from the drivers door key. Turns out the plastic appendage on the back of the door lock had developed a huge amount of play which is why it no longer locked the door so I fitted a different matching pair with a different key. I had salvaged these locks in 2016 and they were waiting for me in my box of stuff. Also there was a nice one with two keys for the Vachette. So we're all keyed up. Except the central locking doesn't lock the boot. Still have to pull the door liner on the rear passenger cause the window don't work.
Then there's some swaybar bushes to swap.
And a stereo to fit. Oh yeah , the high beam just stopped working. Can anyone tell me where the relay for that lives? I think it's in that little box beside the radiator. There's a bit of a tidy up needed in there.
Then new tyres and a number plate and it'll be on the historic road.

Well finally it is running. Like a hairy goat but that's OK right now.
There was a saga with the intank pump. I was expecting a proper replacement today but it wasn't to be so I took the old one to town to see how close I could find. No luck at the first place, then at Autobarn I wanted to see the Commodore ones and the Camry and the Ford ones that all look very similar in the pics. The only one that came close was a generic VDO one though the filter bag was going to be a problem.
I got it home and managed to fit it into the old frame and the wires even had the right tags , but as I had thought the filter bag was off to one side and wasn't going to fit easily or at all. Then I found that the little circlip thingy that you push onto a plastic pin wasn't even going to stay put so I left the bloody thing off. That's what fuel filters are for.
After fitting it properly with great confidence I gave it a try but nothing happened. I was feeling a bit desperate when I discovered the fuse had blown behind the ashtray. It was a 15amp but all I could find was a 25. After fitting that once more it blew.
I decided that the new pump must just be the wrong thing but double checking I removed it again and really sussed out the wires.
Turned out I had made a fundamentally stupid mistake. I had assumed that the red wire was positive and the black negative. WRONG!
After switching those wires it worked a treat.
So now it's all the finishing things many of which are now half undone again during the frenzied search for the problem.
There's a miss which turned out to be a bad lead. There's an exhaust leak between header and manifold which I expected as the header is made up and they didn't give the pipes that little bit proud above the flange to support the gasket so I guess it's blown straight out there. Another header is in my future.
Tomorrow it's the retightening of the head and tappets and repainting the rocker cover and painting the tray over the wiper motor and organizing the washers.
And so on. Tired but happy.

Managed to get it almost running smoothly today but due to a hole in the muffler it will have to wait for that to be fixed as that always throws the tuning out of whack.
It had an overheating problem, firstly because of some air in the system and then because the thermo fan wasn't stiffening up with heat. Fitted a good one and it stays nicely below half on the temp gauge.
There was some gunk in the petrol tank so I poured a whole bottle of fuel system cleaner in there and after a few drives up and down my drive it smoothed right out.
Then it got washed and attentions turned to door locks, window winders, and windscreen washer adjustments. It had to have a new bonnet cause the original had rust in the nose and the replacement is silver instead of white so there's going to be a bit of spray-painting in my future. The car might be white but there are so many whites on it even down to some original , some faded as well as various patchups over the years so it really needs a complete lick to make it uniform. I'll attempt to match the front drivers guard which is a really nice cream , and then I'll just do a panel at a time. I think it's going to be a very nice unit.
I do have to reco the clutch hydraulics though. Can anyone tell me whether I have to remove the brake master to get the clutch master out? I've ordered a copy of Mister Haynes but it is still in transit.
Cheers.

Can anyone tell me whether I have to remove the brake master to get the clutch master out?

No need to remove the brake master cylinder. Clutch master comes out with 11mm socket on two nuts at the firewall and 11mm open ender on the brake pipe. Hose from the reservoir just pulls off.

Have fun,

Rob.

So I got the hydraulic stuff done , despite the wrong seal for the slave that was a soild thing instead of a ring so I used the trusty scalpel and made a circular incision but I must have been a little generous with the amount left because she was pretty tight on the pedal, but still works OK.
Got the Historic plates and then took her to the muffler shop and had it all welded nicely. Then managed to get the mixture adjusted right and now she's running sweet, quiet and fast. A few more things need doing, namely a change of fluids in the gearbox and diff, wiper blades, a glovebox keeper, a headlight adjuster and a stereo.
Very happy.
505c.jpg

505b.jpg

505a.jpg

505d.jpg

Now for some paint.

Gday Dan, a great effort mate and she doesn't look too bad either. I am very happy with my 505GTD turbo and recently returned from a trip to Newcastle in it.After the new head gasket and minor body repairs it has been club reg. for some months now. Compared to the Gti it has much better fuel economy but not the same oomph. I also replaced the brake and clutch cylinders. My head lights are v poor so will need to upgrade globes and check alternator output. Now I'm back onto the 403B and ongoing resto. It's not easy without a big enclosed shed as it gets windy out here at times and dusty. I'm heading to Oberon for the 03 w/e tomorrow in the 403 wagon and have just done an oil change for the occasion. You must explain how you displayed your 505 photos so well.All the best with your guitars too. Cheers and Coopers.

Sent from my SM-T550 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Looks great, Dan ! You must feel very satisfied.

And you have a good eye for lighting in photography...