504 Wipers jammed

If you want to splash out on some silicone grease, that will never dry out and it is impervious to pretty much everything (water, petroleum derived products, solvents of any kind, etc.). Which means you have to be careful where you smudge it, because it's going to be there for a while. Especially if you intend to paint anything after that. Good cure for leaky window rubbers too.

He means the gearbox in the wiper motor assembly, not the car's transmission.The wiper motor drives through a small reduction gear, with the self-parking circuit controlled by contacts inside the reduction "gearbox."
(Wiper motors have two distinct sections, the round bit like a can is the 12 volt motor, the flatter bit contains the reduction gearbox.)

I'd be greasing the linkages first...

My mistake then...Sorry Pugwash, I thought you may have lost the plot, but it is me !

Forumnoreason, if you want to grease those linkages, I hope your back is in VERY good shape. Do some extreme yoga to warm up....or get an offspring to do it. Not only do you have to lean backwards in an unusual position, but you have to twist at the same time.

Yes, my days of being in unusual positions are but memories!

i have found that the little effort required to remove the front seat /seats ,is better than visits to the chiro .PUGS

Aren't those linkages accessible from the outside (next to the wiper motor) or am I missing something ? :oops:

My mistake then...Sorry Pugwash, I thought you may have lost the plot, but it is me !

Forumnoreason, if you want to grease those linkages, I hope your back is in VERY good shape. Do some extreme yoga to warm up....or get an offspring to do it. Not only do you have to lean backwards in an unusual position, but you have to twist at the same time.

No, the linkages are not accessible via the scuttle panel, only from under the dash. The wiper motor drive shaft goes through to the underside of the dash.