504 Wagon vac booster issues

forumnoreason

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi puggies, I've got a distinct loss of pedal action in the brake booster and have just replaced the quite worn hose to the intake with appropriate diameter vacuum hose that doesn't seem to have sorted it out. I have a spare booster but not sure how to test if it actually might be ok to use instead. There is no obvious leakage in the system from the resevoir although it gets topped up occasionally. I just read in the workshop manual to check belt tightness. It feels pretty good. Franzose sells new boosters. But doesn't say whether it will fit a wagon. I'm still not sure whether this car has an XN1 or 2 motor. It's a June 82 build. I guess 505 GR bits fit most in engine bay. What to do to rectify? Cheers Steven

I found this on serie04 which 'seems' to be the correct part but...

I would like to know also where an online parts manual can be accessed if at all, I've only found fiches of early models.

Pull on the one way plastic valve that pushes into the rubber grommet on the booster (after you've just had the car running) and see if you can hear an incoming rush of air. If you can (hear the air) the booster is OK and you most likely have a master cylinder issue. Topping up the master cylinder should be quite infrequent, (unless you're doing a lot of miles and have a lot of brake wear).
Otherwise the fluid is probably leaking past the master cylinder seals and collecting in the bottom of the booster.

There is a seal kit available. I replaced the rear seal in mine after I could hear air hissing. Lewin at Peugeotspares in Brisbane had the seal in stock , but I had to take booster to a brake place to insert the seal as it is a bit tricky apparently.

I can only hear the motor with this method GP! I do think I need a new master cylinder though for starters, it's a daily so not waiting for resleeve. ditto for servo. I assume master is a 20.6mm Lockheed but then again! Lewin has come to mind for a phone call 👍

the leaks are evident around resevoir seals, corrosion etc. That ones on the way out.

Attachments

• IMG_4238.jpeg
    IMG_4238.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Had a listen from inside of car and no noise. Could I have air in the lines from worn resevoir seals?

I can only hear the motor with this method GP! I do think I need a new master cylinder though for starters, it's a daily so not waiting for resleeve. ditto for servo. I assume master is a 20.6mm Lockheed but then again! Lewin has come to mind for a phone call 👍

the leaks are evident around resevoir seals, corrosion etc. That ones on the way out.
It should hold vacuum after you turn the engine off. Run it without touching the brakes, turn the engine off, and check the valve straight away for a "whoosh" if you try to pull it out. That's the valve out of the booster, not the hose off the valve.