504 Ti won't start

After much struggling, I managed to forcibly remove the tank yesterday. I still don't understand why it was so hard to remove. Like most things on rear-wheel drive Peugeots, it's very well designed, and should have just dropped out. Something has changed or moved, but I can't see why or how. I'll have to modify it to get it back in.

Anyway, the news isn't good. Removing the gauge sender revealed lots of rust flakes and dust. I don't know why none of it came out in the petrol that was drained. It's going to need internal cleaning and refurbishment. But at least I can run the engine from a jerry can. Maybe I could leave the tank out completely and set it up to run from a portable tank for an outboard motor on a boat. Just strap it in the boot and plug it in. :)

What a timely question! I'd completely forgotten about this thread, and I'm horrified to see that it's nearly 18 months since I was last did anything about it. I picked up an outboard tank from my brother a couple of days ago, but have yet to do anything else. I'll have to buy a suitable hose and bayonet connector from a boating shop, and I'll have to buy another filler cap for it and modify it to take the return fuel line.
So nothing to report yet.
Once I can run it using the outboard tank, at least I can safely and easily run the engine now and then until I either restore the car's tank or find a replacement.

Hey, you know if it was a Leyland P76 you could just load up a 44 gallon drum into the boot and run a rubber fuel line!

Last edited:
We laughed at Japanese cars. Then we laughed at Korean cars. Now we're laughing at Chinese cars.
I should add that for the past 13 months I've been driving my dear late mother-in-law's 10-year-old Kia Rio. Very impressed, and not a car I would have ever considered owning.

Haha! One of my favourite motoring journo quotes regarding the 44 gallon drum in a P76 boot..."the answer to the question nobody asked"

Be very careful - the dizzy and starter can both spark and set fire to the fuel when cranking with a line disconnected. The cold start injector has to be earthed to work and you can set yourself on fire checking these things too.

Hello,

Take an injector line off at the injector end and crank it over and see if any fuel is getting through, take a lead off and check for spark. That will lead you to fuel or electrical.

Having some exposure to TI's over the years have seen several with a hole in the main diagram in the pump which causes very poor to no running. These are super expensive to get now and I think the last one I got came from Germany.

Good luck, a good running TI is a great thing!

Ben

^ I did that in 2002 after getting too casual about these things. I did the fastest high fence jump I have ever done to get the hose on the other side.