504 Ti won't start

1915 type 153

Fellow Frogger
Well, kind of.

I have just put it back together having blown the head gasket. It it firing but it won't catch and run. I did actually get it to stagger into life once and once it caught on all four cylinders it ran perfectly. Idled fine, ran cleanly through the rev range. Then I switched it off and it hasn't gone since. It's firing and trying to run. I'm out of ideas on what might be wrong. It has plenty of fuel at the injectors. The coil, condensor and spark plugs are all new. Points gap is ok.

I'm getting close to giving up...

Don't give up! Are the leads on the right way round? Firing order is 1-3-4-2, cylinder 1 is at the rear, dizzy turns clockwise as you look down at it. In mine, when the rotor is firing on cylinder no.1, it points in the direction of the throttle butterfly. Just to confirm, plug gap should be 22-24 thou, point gap 16 thou. To convert to metric just multiply each thousandth of an inch by 0.0254.

64c6afbf2d2187f0f2f0130b423900df.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everything electric is new and correct. We did persuade it to stagger into life once and once running it was perfect... until I switched it off

Don't give up! Are the leads on the right way round? Firing order is 1-3-4-2, cylinder 1 is at the rear, dizzy turns clockwise as you look down at it. In mine, when the rotor is firing on cylinder no.1, it points in the direction of the throttle butterfly. Just to confirm, plug gap should be 22-24 thou, point gap 16 thou. To convert to metric just multiply each thousandth of an inch by 0.0254.

64c6afbf2d2187f0f2f0130b423900df.jpg

Injection pump belt failure is quite common and at one stage the belts were in short supply and expensive.

Congratulations on your decision to get it back on the road.

504 Tis are getting rarer by the year.

Separate the problem into two : Is it spark or fuel ?

Squirt some "Start Ya Bastard" (or perhaps just a bit of petrol) into the air intake. If it fires for a few seconds, it was a fuel prob.

I don't like points. It's probably them. You said they're set ok, but are they clean ? And don't forget that setting them changes the timing a bit.

Hello,

Take an injector line off at the injector end and crank it over and see if any fuel is getting through, take a lead off and check for spark. That will lead you to fuel or electrical.

Having some exposure to TI's over the years have seen several with a hole in the main diagram in the pump which causes very poor to no running. These are super expensive to get now and I think the last one I got came from Germany.

Good luck, a good running TI is a great thing!

Ben

Is the cold start injector working? Should dump a lot of fuel into the plenum quite quickly. It has an electrical feed from the starter solenoid and its own fuel line.

I got pretty much these symptoms when mine ( on 404 KF2 ) stopped working recently

L'Aventure Peugeot have made a new batch of drive belts for the injection pump. They are about $200.00 but are worth having in the collection as they are not going to be any easier to get in a few years. bruno.garovo@peugeot.com

They also have repair kits for the injector, but it may be something simple like the electrical or fuel feed.

Good luck

Andrew

Pull the wire off the fuel atomizer (At the firewall end of the inlet manifold), if running a bit rich, when hot, the atomizer will flood the motor and it will not start.
Once flooded you are probably better to pull the plugs out and let the fuel evaporate.

Also I fitted a new distributor cap a couple of years ago and found the center carbon brush was sticking inside the cap and not bearing on the rotor.

Good Luck

Are they the RIGHT plugs? I can't remember the number but it is a heat range different to the carby cars and contributes to hard starting. As BIGRR said,try starting with that wire off.

Many (30+) years ago I was bailed up at home by a 504TI that refused to start. It ran fine before that. I asked around and was told that the injector timing belt was probably knackered. To cut a long story short, the belt was fine, but I replaced it anyway, having come that far. In the end, it turned out that the fuel filter near the tank was blocked. Not sure how that happened or why it would affect proceedings so suddenly. Perhaps I had filled up with a crook load of fuel? Anyhow, it would be worth checking your filter - just in case. Good luck!

Many (30+) years ago I was bailed up at home by a 504TI that refused to start. It ran fine before that. I asked around and was told that the injector timing belt was probably knackered. To cut a long story short, the belt was fine, but I replaced it anyway, having come that far. In the end, it turned out that the fuel filter near the tank was blocked. Not sure how that happened or why it would affect proceedings so suddenly. Perhaps I had filled up with a crook load of fuel? Anyhow, it would be worth checking your filter - just in case. Good luck!

Apparently the ryco type filters are glued and the internal filter piece can come loose and block the flow. Someone I consider to be a good source recommended the Purflux type for that reason.

The man said he had fuel arriving at the injectors. However just out of interest here is an earlier post on filters:

[h=2]
icon1.gif
Crook Fuel Filter[/h]

STEER CLEAR of this Super Cheap item.

This filter was fitted to my 1973 Peugeot 504Ti, immediately before the fuel injection pressure pump and the fuel tank. The filter had been fitted for maybe (?) 12 months, and the car runs on unleaded 98 always.
Last night on my way to the Pug meeting in very heavy traffic at Concord Sydney the car stopped, NO fuel at motor.

Pug member Steve V6 and I traced it to the filter.

Luckily I had a spare to fit and get back underway.

On inspection of the removed filter I found that the inlet section on the tank side had semi dissolved (?) collapsed and blocked off all fuel flow!!!!!! (See attached photographs).

Not happy last night, it was 35 degrees.

Blimy ! A Spear and Jackson it was, too ! :clown:

(Monty Python reference)

Oh well. You get that...

I really hoped that these things don't happen...and when I get back home, Mr Supercheap can refund me for a coil which clearly wasn't fit for purpose.

Blimy ! A Spear and Jackson it was, too ! :clown:

(Monty Python reference)

Oh well. You get that...

Last edited:
Very annoying but a straight forward fix. Great news.

This is a timely thread.

My late father's 1974 TI has been sitting in my shed since the middle of 2014, when it was last driven. Graham Wallis serviced it for Dad just over 6 years ago. (How time flies). After that it wasn't used much and Dad went into care about 2 years later. From then until mid-2014, I would start it and give the engine a run up to temperature about once a month. Then when it was time to drive it home to my place in 2014, I only drove it a couple of blocks. The brakes didn't feel quite right and the thermofan wasn't cutting in, and 75km of 100kph driving lay ahead, so I borrowed a trailer and towed it home. That was the last time it ran. I foolishly didn't start it periodically. I just kept the battery charged.

Yesterday I put some fresh petrol in the tank, which was virtually empty, and tried to start it. It turns over OK, and you can hear the fuel pump, but it will only fire if you give it a squirt of Aerostart, but doesn't continue. That's as far as I got before I ran out of time.

My next step was going to be the removal of a fuel hose to get some fresh fuel up to the engine.