504 Ti valve springs

bahay

Fellow Frogger
I recently acquired a 504 Ti head with virtually no corrosion(!), 92mm thickness and gas flowed inlet ports. Unfortunately it didn't have valves or valve springs.

I tracked down some good valves, but when looking out valve springs I noticed that there are two different 'wire' thicknesses used for primary valve springs on the 2 litre Pug motors. Some are 3.6mm and others are 4.2mms.
This leads me to ask....
Is there a specified valve spring for the Ti head?

Is there a particular benefit / downside of either thickness?

The head will be fitted to a refreshed 2 litre 504 motor with an Argentine (short) 4 branch carby inlet manifold.

A supplementary question ....What cam would best suit this motor..a standard 2 litre carby cam, a Ti cam or something else?

All advice appreciated.

John

The motor will be for road use only.

Last edited:
I can supply you a Bert Jones cam that is good for road use and slightly warmer than a Ti cam.

I can supply you a Bert Jones cam that is good for road use and slightly warmer than a Ti cam.

I think that's a good offer. Your head is lightly skimmed with a 3.3 cc combustion volume reduction, so compression ratio will be up by about 0.5. Between that and the flowed head, you will see some decent power gains. A big bore exhaust will also work really well with that, and remove the middle muffler from the exhaust system.

Oh, the springs... You may recall that the 504 has double valve springs. I think the springs from either the Ti or the carby model will work fine. Neither will give you coil bind as I doubt the Bert Jones cam will have much higher lift than the standard cam. If you decide to use a standard 504 cam, 1.8 liter would be best, followed by carby, followed by Ti.

Didn't the late Owen Wuillemin do some great research on the corrected geometry for a reground cam? I think only Camtech has this information. I would be wary of any other local cam grinder. Bert Jones went out of business long before Owen did this research.

My 504 wagon goes well with a Wade 104 cam and this is with 8.3 to 1 compression, I will fit 8.8 pistons and a head shave when the engine needs refreshing. It has done 20 years worth of round Australia trips with this engine, although I gave it a quick head gasket change recently due to seepage of coolant on the underside.
Having said that I think it would be worthwhile to investigate Owens research.
I tried an XN6 (SLi) cam in an 1800 carby engine and wasn't impressed.

Thanks gents for all the replies, they are much appreciated.
I will think this through over the next few weeks.

John