504 stranded in Mongolia

ThanosK

Fellow Frogger
Three 504's have entered the 2019 Peking to Paris rally, unfortunately only two are now moving. The Peugeot 504 coupe of Ludovic Bois and Julia Colman is stranded in Mongolia. The 504's of Aussie John Young and American Shiv Sikand are still going well. The coupe is sidelined with an apparent diff failure. They have been hearing a noise for days which they thought came from the brakes, but in the last hour they stopped for fuel and one of the wheels is seized. They were told it is the differential, could it be anything else, such as the half shaft? They are getting the car flat bedded back to Ulaan Bataar about 600 km away, and we will try to get a replacement diff out to them from Athens, hopefully by Tuesday. The rally ends on July 7th, so plenty of time for them to catch up, even with massive time penalties. The situation is complicated by the fact that it is Saturday and the freight companies are closed. It is unlikely the diff can be repaired in Ulaan Bataar, Peugeots are super rare in Mongolia, I can't imagine that 504 parts can be found there. Any ideas o how they can repair the diff using other parts or even welding it to 100% lock? This would get them back on the road on Sunday, if they have to wait for the replacement diff they are looking at Wednesday at the earliest, so catching up to the rally will be much harder. They are really nice people and a very fast crew, so let's see if we can get these 504 tribe members to Paris!

I'm sure that in Mongolia there are some quite competent bush mechanics, and in Ulaan Bataar there will be many. Trucks are used there and as 504 diffs are not different from other diffs, once things are taken apart all will be revealed, and whatever action is able to be taken will be taken, using local expertise.

I'm with Wildebeest and Bob D.

It's either a seized brake or a wheel bearing.

If the other wheel turns OK, then, as it does all the various cogs etc. in the diff will also turn so it's unlikely to be a problem there.

A badly seized brake or shattered bearing will stop the wheel turning!

Cheers
Roland

Last edited:
Problem solved. As many suspected it was not the diff, they had used a half shaft from a Berline and it was too short. They will extend it and be on their way.

Extending half shafts in outer mongolia does have a certain ring to it !

Pk to Pa is an adventure that I'd dearly love to do

Andrew

Problem solved. As many suspected it was not the diff, they had used a half shaft from a Berline and it was too short. They will extend it and be on their way.