504 steering rack rebuild - help needed

Pug72

Fellow Frogger
Hi all

Some more work on the 504

The steering rack has had play in it for a long time. I recently replaced the tie rods ends on both sides, the flector, the LH rack end bush (that is outside the steering boot) plus the nylon bush that is at the end of where the steering column enters the steering rack.

I obtained a steering rack kit and another rack end bush.

The steering rack kit contains a circlip, 2 seals, a flat washer and a nylon bush.

I am lead to believe that by having the steering on full lock (turning right), I can remove the LH steering boot, remove the circlip, remove the washer and seals and I can then replace the nylon bush.

However I am unable to remove the circlip. It is fouling on the steering shaft, ie there is not enough room to compress the circlip and remove it with the steering shaft there. Can the LH steering shaft be removed/unscrewed?

Secondly I am also lead to believe that there is rack end bush inside the RH steering boot. Is this the case?

Steering kit.jpgSteering Circlip.jpg

Cheers

Yes, there is a rack eye bush at the right end of the rack. I think it's the same size as the left hand outer bush.

It's a very long time since I did a steering rack but to change the left rack inner bush you have to remove the tie rod arm from the end of the rack first. You also have to turn the steering to full lock to the LEFT, not the right, i.e. as if you were turning a left hand corner. Of course, then remove the boot. I don't recall having trouble with that circlip. Good circlip pliers?

Others will be sure to add as necessary.

Thanks Peter

I currently have the steering turned full lock to the right, as if I am turning a right hand corner. I am not sure how to remove the steering boot due to the large flat washer on the rack end. see pic

LH End.jpg

I see there is also a large nut, so I am assuming something comes apart there, but I have only tried gently as the steering arm seems to twist/flex.

all advice much appreciated!

PS...my circlip pliers are well used so maybe investing in a new pair will make the job easier.

You mIght need to apply a bit of force to unscrew the disc and eyelet. Shouldnt require lots of force though.

Its been a long time since I have needed to replace the rack end bush , but I seem to recall that a removal of the rack is required .
That means remove complete rack from car . remove tin plate cover under pinion , undo nut reveled , remove piion , remove rack and replace rack end bush.

I'm not a Peugeot 504 expert but in your pic it looks very similar to a Renault r12.

On the Renault R12 that nut that you see is a lock nut which is 36mm across the flats. I use a 36mm open ended spanner to undo that locknut.

If you are worried about twisting the rack use a large shifter to hold the rack end eyelet or put a suitable sized bar through where the bolt goes that holds on the tack arm.

When that large nut is loose you will be able to unscrew the eyelet.

Remember also you will need a wheel alignment when you have assembled it all back together.

Hope this helps

Its been a long time since I have needed to replace the rack end bush , but I seem to recall that a removal of the rack is required .
That means remove complete rack from car . remove tin plate cover under pinion , undo nut reveled , remove piion , remove rack and replace rack end bush.

No need, unless it is a PAS rack? Full LH lock then use a small screwdriver to prise out the plastic bush, Circlip is the easy bit, new circlip pliers needed I would say.

Right, so I just had the steering lock the wrong way.

I will get new circlip pliers before I attack this again.

Meanwhile I changed the RH rack end bush. It was shagged!

RH rack end bush.jpg

No power steering in this vehicle.

Yep, that's what they usually look like this far down the track.

I had a very old pair of Sidchrome circlip pliers and the tips had rounded off over the years which caused them to slip off. A bit of gentle grinding of the tips had them square again and usable. This would only work with non-stepped tips.

By the way, I have a feeling that the lock nut abutting the large disc thing on the other end of the rack is actually part of the disc, and not separate.

When installing the new plastic sleeve/bush you need to take a bit of care as, being plastic, it is easily damaged.

Thanks Peter

I have a feeling that I may need to use a little bit of heat to undo the large nut. I have tried a few times today and given that the nut is only thin, i came close to slipping and the last thing I want to do is damage the nut. I will be replacing the boot as well, which I don't have so need to order that too.

I too have had to grind the end of my circlip pliers a few times. A good excuse to visit Trade Tools