504 Sedan Wobbly Rear wheel hubs?

leregulage

Fellow Frogger
On our 77 504 Sedan AUTO, I'm having some issues with the rear wheel hubs.

The left side wheel was wobbly, so I checked the center big nut, tight as a drum.

I figured either way there was no grease left in it, so off it came. Had a horrible time getting that lock nut off.. Anyway, it has 2 open cage bearings inside of it( balls can be removed).

They seemed to be loose by them selves.

Can they be tightend up with the lock nut? I think it is as tight as it will go... Of course now it is even more loose..

Anyone seen something like this before?

Adam.

Too expensive for a new one and secondhand ones last a very long time. Call Pugwreck (Melb) or Gary in S.A. (I think his name here on AF is 505 V6)....both can mail it to you.

Left hand side suspension components always go first....more bumps on that side. See if you can get one off the right hand side of a car.

I'll check with him. I really think it has been loose a very long time. It is two open cage type bearings with pressed in races for each. The problem is no pressure is transmitted to the races. So the balls just move around sideways without pressure.

I don't see how it ever worked...

imo no point in getting a s/h bearing, unless you get it with the carrier. because in order to remove it from the carrier you have to knock pretty hard on the inner race, which isn't very healthy. i wouldn't bother using it after that.

Sometimes you can pull them up if you knock back the lock "tab" and tighten the big nut more. Requires holding the hub from turning and a 3/4 socket with a long bar.

While you are down the back fiddling have a look at the rear cross member mounts. They sometimes give way and give all sorts of sensations when you drive or rock the rear wheels, particularly if they are really bad.

While you are down the back fiddling have a look at the rear cross member mounts. They sometimes give way and give all sorts of sensations when you drive or rock the rear wheels, particularly if they are really bad.

Good advice. Too often we all mis-diagnose problems and go down paths that we later find were the wrong path.

And yes....if you do get a secondhand bearing, it's best to buy it in the hub. No wrecker would sell you just the bearing anyway.
I have bought two and re-greased both to be on the safe side.

I thought I replied to this a while back. So after searching every where for a 504 rear bearing. I somehow stumbled upon that rear bearings from( i think it was 505's). Were one whole piece, same id-and od. Just a squeak thicker/ thinner(maybe 2mm?). It worked perfect! Super easy, and cheap to find too..:party: