504 seats

Wilko

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
My recently acquired 1972 504 TI has non standard seats ( probably because the original ones fell to pieces ) and I’ve been told the fitted ones are Renault 16 type.
Because the Peugeot club are particular about originality when allowing conditional registration, they are saying they must be Peugeot seats, preferably of that vintage. So I have bought some later model seats from a 1979 504 being assured that they would fit. However, widthways they are 10mm narrower in the seat runners with respect to the mounting frames. It doesn’t sound like much but it means that new holes would be right on the edge of the frame.
Can anyone tell me how the seat mounting method on the later model 504 differed from my vintage 504. Mounting frames were supplied with seats, but are exactly the same as in my car and obviously not suited to seats I’m attempting to fit - very frustrating!

Attachments

• E55400C4-24ED-422D-8BEA-D5BECB910C1E.jpeg
    E55400C4-24ED-422D-8BEA-D5BECB910C1E.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 7C9257B9-681D-41A9-9CBD-642B746825F8.jpeg
    7C9257B9-681D-41A9-9CBD-642B746825F8.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 75
It would interesting too see a photo of the seats that came with your 1972 Ti. 504s were pretty much essembled by Renault Australia in Heidelberg, Victoria. As far as I know, and I could be wrong, they were fitted with a variety of Renault seats over the production years. There was also about 5 or 6 different designs. The seats in your photos look the same as those in my 1980 504. If so, then they are mounted diffently. I'm not home right now but I seem to recall that the 1980 seats attach differently on the tunnel side. They have different body mounts. Russell and others feel free to correct me on all this.

It would interesting too see a photo of the seats that came with your 1972 Ti. 504s were pretty much essembled by Renault Australia in Heidelberg, Victoria. As far as I know, and I could be wrong, they were fitted with a variety of Renault seats over the production years. There was also about 5 or 6 different designs. The seats in your photos look the same as those in my 1980 504. If so, then they are mounted diffently. I'm not home right now but I seem to recall that the 1980 seats attach differently on the tunnel side. They have different body mounts.

Interestingly enough, I have a copy of the local content as at 2 January 1973 and it's amazing the number of things that were local.

The parts of the seats that were local content were front and rear seat frames, front seat slides and cushion pads. Logically, it becomes a bit grey area exactly what is French Peugeot as it seems that at least parts of the seats are Australian content (as at 1973) anyway. Being assembled in the same factory as Renaults surely would mean that they may have shared the same seats?

Thanks for your prompt reply Peter and that is what I suspected. The Renault seats line up exactly on the existing frames and so are compatible with the original seats that were fitted originally.
My brother had a 1973 TI and his seats had to be repaired and that is why after being assured that the later seats would fit, I bought them thinking that would be better made ( which they are ) so not sure how to adapt the mounting to suit other than making up new ones.
Anyway if you can maybe let me know how yours are fitted it might give me ideas on how to make them fit.
Thanks again.

Think up to 77, the seats on the frame, 78 they bolt into the floor like 505, they should still fit though, because I've run 505 seats in my 74 504. Should be the same with late 504 seats.

Good luck 👍
Cheers BP

I was told years ago by a local Pug mechanic that 504 seats were made by Pullman.....the same company that made Pullman carriages.
Just as the body was designed by Pininfarina

When assembly started there was a period of grace from duties to allow set up. The first 504's had French seats. They were then locally sewn on French frames up to the end of 1971 at least. The materials weren't suited to heat and had chronic polymer fogging problems. By 1973 they had a totally Australian seat. I think they had a different slide design.
In the 1950's Peugeot seat springs were supplied by a firm in Puteaux, Bernard Faure from memory.

My recently acquired 1972 504 TI has non standard seats ( probably because the original ones fell to pieces ) and I’ve been told the fitted ones are Renault 16 type.
Because the Peugeot club are particular about originality when allowing conditional registration, they are saying they must be Peugeot seats, preferably of that vintage. So I have bought some later model seats from a 1979 504 being assured that they would fit. However, widthways they are 10mm narrower in the seat runners with respect to the mounting frames. It doesn’t sound like much but it means that new holes would be right on the edge of the frame.
Can anyone tell me how the seat mounting method on the later model 504 differed from my vintage 504. Mounting frames were supplied with seats, but are exactly the same as in my car and obviously not suited to seats I’m attempting to fit - very frustrating!
I wouldnt have thought later seats would affect club registration

These are the seats that were/are in it when I bought it. They did not have headrests but taking the back off one seat I found that there was provision made to fit headrests with tubes already fitted. I found some headrest that fit perfectly - just had to put holes in the top of the back rests.

Attachments

• 760D0E65-56B9-4902-ABD5-3F2D8E9A6E99.jpeg
    760D0E65-56B9-4902-ABD5-3F2D8E9A6E99.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 71
  • A2383686-093F-49FA-9F3A-2EC5A728DE70.jpeg
    A2383686-093F-49FA-9F3A-2EC5A728DE70.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 68
From memory the first Australian seats had removable headrests so the seats could be fully laid back into a camping bed. Seats were a light tan.
First Australian seats were so thick that you couldn't open the rear doors from inside as they covered the door latch , totally unroadworthy I would say?

Yes, they were thick and didn't offer sideways support but they were comfortable. The French seats had a curved slide so they rose as they went forward.