504 running hot

Black Dog

Fellow Frogger
I've got a 79 model 504. She's having a few problems with running hot, partly to do with the weather in WA at the moment but partly something else. She's getting to a certain temp and not getting any hotter, but it's a concern. I've replaced the thermostat (put in the right way up), the radiator has been repaired (but still could be dodgy), I've just replaced a leaking fuel pump which seems to have slowed the time it takes for the engine to heat up. The pneumatic fan is working fine, and there doesn't seem to be any symptoms of a bung head gasket. Any suggestions?

Sounds asthough you have a decent size air pocket in the cooling system. Has you're car a bleed nipple on the thermostat housing ?
Have this open while filling the radiator in as air tight conditions as possible. When the thermostat opens air should escape.
Be careful though, this bleed nipple on my car is in the line of the escaping hot water from the cylinder head. I'm sure Peugeot in there wisdom between 1979 and 1994 (the model year of my car a 405) would not have changed this wonderful innovation!

Sounds like youve checked the easy stuff, now its time to get serious, 504 radiators were only just big enough when they were new 22 years ago now they are all to small because of small blockages, you can have it proffesionally cleaned out but that doesnt always work and replacment is the only answer, next, the water pump can corrod out, remove it and check it, it may look good on the outside but its the inside thats important, if its corroded replace it , finally, while the water pump is off check the water deflection plate inside the head (commo problem) if its corrod then water eill take a short cut through the head and the engine will run hot, all these parts are available from French Connection in Melbourne at discount prices so if you need anything let me know. Good luck.
Regards,
David.