504 rear brake caliper

harditk

Tadpole
Greetings!
Hand brake lever of my right rear caliper seems no longer working..
I am told I need to replace the piston.
Does anyone has one for sale?
Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• IMG-20201028-WA0038.jpg
    IMG-20201028-WA0038.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 123
Are you sure that the inner cable slides freely? They sometimes corrode inside and "stick". Easy to check, have someone operate and watch the cable at the brake end.

Another possibility is that it just needs lubricating. The plastic cap at the pivot of the lever is easy to pop off and get in with some penetrating oil if necessary, and moly grease afterwards.

But if somebody has damaged the handbrake mechanism (typically by pushing the piston back mechanically) then you'll need to replace it. Sorry, can't help with that. Make sure that anyone working on the brakes in future knows about giving the piston a quarter turn so it can be pushed in.

Have fun,

Rob.

Are you sure that the inner cable slides freely? They sometimes corrode inside and "stick". Easy to check, have someone operate and watch the cable at the brake end.
Yes, cable has no problem. In fact we tried to move the lever on the caliper itself and didn't see it pushed the piston.

Another possibility is that it just needs lubricating. The plastic cap at the pivot of the lever is easy to pop off and get in with some penetrating oil if necessary, and moly grease afterwards.

But if somebody has damaged the handbrake mechanism (typically by pushing the piston back mechanically) then you'll need to replace it. Sorry, can't help with that. Make sure that anyone working on the brakes in future knows about giving the piston a quarter turn so it can be pushed in.

Have fun,

Rob.
Probably previous owner's mechanic did that. When I received this car, both hand brake cables (L+R) were disconnected, and reason given to me because "it typically jammed"...

Yeah, when they get old they stick in the "ON" position. The best thing to do then is to put springs between the lever and where the cable comes out of the outer cable.
There are a couple of threads here about that....I contributed to a couple.

But it seems you need a new one. Ianrobbo is a well-known seller of secondhand parts here.

Lubricating the pivot point under the small plastic cap is necessary, as per Robs post.

Thank you for your reply! I am newbie here, apologize for my ignorance 🙏. Certainly I will learn from seniors here.

Is the piston still in the rear caliper and the caliper still attached to the vehicle? There is a grove at the end of the piston. For the handbrake to operate correctly, this groove needs to be horizontal with the ground.

The 504 rear handbrake is often butchered by inexperienced mechanics who when replacing rear brake pads, just force the piston back into the caliper, thus wrecking the hand brake mechanism. The piston much be turned 45 degrees (from the horizontal) before the piston can be pushed back into the caliper. Then the piston must be rotated back to the horizontal before inserting new brake pads.

Who's giving you the advice that the handbrake is stuffed?

Also if the hand brake is adjusted to hold with very few clicks when pulled up it will not adjust properly. It needs to come up a fair amount when pulled on. This needs to be explained to roadworthy testers sometimes.