504 Parasitic Leak

aquinian

Fellow Frogger
Hello Froggers,

Have a 504 which has a nasty habit of draining it's battery overnight.

Have done a parasitic leak test and have determined that the issue on the horn/interior lights fuse circuit.

However unfortunately this behaviour is random. It was pulling a good 0.25A when off yesterday but today is pulling nothing.

There is no stereo plugged in at the moment.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Michael

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Hi Michael, try glove box light,clock,cig lighter,hazard light switch as other constant power possible drains,just a thought or two.....jim

The clue is 250mA current.

Around 3 watts, typically a filament lamp. :wink2:

Last edited:
I have a 504 circuit diagram, but nothing will shrink it to 100KB and have it readable. If you can reconstruct them I can post the images resulting from tiling the reduced original.

Here it is-
Cablage00.jpgCablage01.jpgCablage02.jpgCablage03.jpg

Join up and rotate clockwise.

Thanks for all the help guys - will have a look at the circuit diagram. Already tried the boot/glovebox lights, clock, and cigarette - no luck.

The thing that's annoying is that it's intermittent.

this is a very distant memory ,years ago i returned from town parked the car ,but when i turned the key off it kept running ,as it was nearly dark i disconnected the battery ,and had a look the next day ,the wireing loom ,had worn through and the wire to the coil had shorted to the permanent active going to the starter ,this was ,down near the starter from memory ,i lived at the end of an 8k dirt road so the car copped a fair bit of vibration ,as your problem is intermittent ,could be worth looking at, pugs

this is a very distant memory ,years ago i returned from town parked the car ,but when i turned the key off it kept running ,as it was nearly dark i disconnected the battery ,and had a look the next day ,the wireing loom ,had worn through and the wire to the coil had shorted to the permanent active going to the starter ,this was ,down near the starter from memory ,i lived at the end of an 8k dirt road so the car copped a fair bit of vibration ,as your problem is intermittent ,could be worth looking at, pugs 504 wagon

Check the push button door switches are securely screwed in and being pushed enough to disconnect every time and the wires are attached properly to the spade connections at the back. Their contacts need an occasional clean anyway with sandpaper so it's worth pulling them out.

Does the 504 have a push button for the boot or a mercury switch?

Thanks for all your help again guys - it seems like the issue was the boot light switch!

I think it's aftermarket - have attached picture. At any rate - it was spinning loosely in the middle and thus switching on and off randomly - at about 0.25A.... :)

Kind regards,
Michael
1cc53a2b9029e41d13aae46466ea5d4e.jpg