504 Open Road Performance

Yes! Mine does this too... I'm wondering if it's a matter of replacing worn shift bushings or something similar

Yes, it's probably the gear lever fulcrum joint. There is a plastic sleeve/bush which wears over time. it's difficult to replace as you need to grind away a weld to get it apart and then weld it up again when done. Don't know if replacement bushes are obtainable but it should be too hard coming up with a substitute if necessary. A bit of mucking around to fix this but the resultant peace and quite is good.

Later 504s had a different setup and I don't know if they had the same problem.

The earlier style gear change was notorious for this. Later ones werea better design, and it is quite possible to fit a later one to an earlier model car.
I have done it, and all you really need to do is mount a strip of metal across the hole in the floor where it all sits. Ideally it should be welded in place, but I did it with a small bolt and nut at each end....no problem. Just make sure the bolts/nuts are high tensile, or even better....stainless. It's strong !

Or fix the old one as Peter described....I did that too and as he says, you need a welder. But as I couldn't obtain the proper bushing, the bushing I used was from a mower wheel . It had the right thickness but a different....larger... diameter, so I cut a slot in the side.. It also helps to fit a wave washer in there to stop the vibration in the future.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how the later square port headed engine compares to a Ti engine, in terms of power?
I do not know the stats, but have driven both a bit.

Simply, the later one went better than an earlier carby one.

But, the Ti went that much better again. If you aks me.

The other difference was in the seat-of-the-pants feel, literally. The later ones had cloth seats, the earlier vinyl or some such, so the later ones were plusher, with the later dash and steering wheel, and just felt better to drive.

The later soft rimmed steering wheels feel much better and seemed smaller than the earlier ones although they are not that much different in diameter.

Let's calculate Ivanhoe NSW to Mt Gambier 760 Km in 6 hours. That is average 126km/hr. More than 25km/hr over limit, there are towns as well.
Please go to local Police Station, hand your licence for 6 months with $1650 cash payment :mallet:
Late lunch still had time some sightseeing in the afternoon though

My 1976 TI didn't have the sizzle nor did the 1978 carby 504. From (bad) memory I think I had the shift mechanism rebushed.

Yes! Mine does this too... I'm wondering if it's a matter of replacing worn shift bushings or something similar
Fixed on the later cars as the shift was then mounted on the floor not the torque tube. 77 on or thereabouts.

In days of yore when roads were de-restricted the police had to prove dangerous driving in court.
Actually, it was the other way around.

There was a 50 mph, later to become an 80 km/h prima facie speed limit on the de-restricted roads in NSW. The driver of the car had to prove that driving above that app, they were driving in a manner that was safe to the public.

Do you know when that started in NSW? It was certainly ignored in the 50s and 60s. I had an uncle who was incapable of sub-50mph, particularly when making his Sunday drive to a distant pub. A trip with him was hair-raising, but nobody ever booked him. I heard he died with a clean licence.

In the 70s I can remember cars doing the ton on the Calga road straights with cops around.

My 72 504 petrol sedan has the ZF3HP12 transmission and standard diff. I run 190/75 tyres on series 1 505 (14") wheels. It is a great car on the highway and feels very safe at highway speeds. The auto is super smooth. The 2 litre (solex carby) petrol engine has plenty of power/torque when travelling over 100km/h.

I still enjoy driving this car everyday.