504 noisey waterpump

Pughead2

Fellow Frogger
I'm curious as to what is the cause of a 504 waterpump noise (pretty sure this is the problem area) No apparent play in the bearing,just a worsening noise at lower revs...a clunking sound.
I'm on the road at the moment,will order a new one today.
Advice appreciated.
Cheers.
Pughead

Is it overheating , the noise could be the welch plug on the head behind the pump, has fallen out and and rattling on the impeller ,pugs

Could be one of two things.
The Welsh plug within the head behind the the pump impeller, has come loose and rubbing/grinding on the impeller.Or, the thermo fan coupling is letting go. From experience, I think you will find it is the first suggestion.
Cheers
Dano

I'm curious as to what is the cause of a 504 waterpump noise (pretty sure this is the problem area) No apparent play in the bearing,just a worsening noise at lower revs...a clunking sound.
I'm on the road at the moment,will order a new one today.
Advice appreciated.
Cheers.
Pughead

It's not over heating and thermo fan seems intact.Appreciate the comments.The welsh plug issue would seem to explain why the noise is not apparent under highway speeds....the coolant pressure of the pump is keeping the plug off the impeller ???

I would remove the drive belt/s for the water pump, fan, alternator, etc and spin each item by hand, if there is a bearing issue you will hear and feel it. :2cents:

Have a look and see if the thermostat is intact ,i checked mine recently only to find the guts of it was missing ,probably removed by previous owner ,im trying to visualize the coolant passages and it seems possible that bits of the thermostat could end up in the pump, although i have never heard of this happening before ,when the welch plug went on mine it was making a funny,metallic jangling noise ,when it was running but i couldnt feel any thing spinning the pump with the belt off ,although my son had to nurse it back from coffs with it getting pretty hot ,have just replaced my radiator so that could have been a contributing factor ,pugs

I'm not sure that bits of thermostat would end up in the pumps impeller housing. The thermostat is located in the pumps outlet hose which goes to the radiator. Any thermostat bits would be more than likely be trapped in the radiator top tank.

Having said that, if the thermostat is old, I'd install a new one as a matter of course. Faulty thermostat = probable cooked engine.

Poor contact of carbon brush, allowing fan clutch to intermittently engage. Remove brush and stretch the spring until a replacement is found.

agree carbon brush not making contact ,
you can lock the fan by tightening the 3 10mm nuts on front of the fan clutch