504 instrument cluster removal

PCole

Fellow Frogger
I need to attend to an erratically-running clock. Please refresh my memory. To remove the instrument cluster it is necessary to remove the entire dash, or simply the dashboard cover which I seem to remember is secured by a couple of clips? I have done it before, but nearly two decades ago.

I need to attend to an erratically-running clock. Please refresh my memory. To remove the instrument cluster it is necessary to remove the entire dash, or simply the dashboard cover which I seem to remember is secured by a couple of clips? I have done it before, but nearly two decades ago.

I think you pop off the top dash cover, then the cluster is able to be lifted out?
Maybe a screw at the back accessible from the top.

There is no need to play the spastic dwarf trick from under the the dash as I remember: that's reserved for 404s.

Last edited:
Agree

Like he said

Remove black dash top by tapping upwards from the front with the thick lower palm of your hand- this unclips any spring clips that are still there after 30 plus years

Binnacle then held in by two bolts - easy to remove (pre 74 have two small Phillips heads on the dash itself from memory instead

Move binnacle upwards slightly to enable disconnection of speedo drive and the two electrical connections

Clock is removed easily once binnacle is on the bench

replacement is a reverse of the above...............

except that you probably broke the remaining rusty dash top retaining clips on removal or will bend the remaining ones when you bash the top downwards once you've replaced everything.

Mine just sits on the top with no visible means of support........no drama, though

Good luck

Hit dash cover upwards with heel of hand; remove 2 10mm bolts,lift panel up a bit and CAREFULLY wiggle the 2 big plugs lose, pull panel up a bit more then unscrew speedo cable. Voila! Neil PS while you have it out clean all of the dash light globes and their housings- improves dash lights.

Hello everyone,

I know this is an old thread, but I have found it very useful. After successfully removing the insttrument cluster, I was unable to separate its two halves. My problem is that the knobs in the front (the one for the trip meter and the one for setting the clock) are holding the front of the cluster in place. I tried wiggling the knobs but they are stuck very tight. Not sure if it is because of age or if they were designed that way, but I decided not to force them because I was afraid I might damage the instruments. The reason I want to get them off is to clean the inside of the plastic/glass as there is a lot of dust there. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time,
David

Hello everyone,

I know this is an old thread, but I have found it very useful. After successfully removing the insttrument cluster, I was unable to separate its two halves. My problem is that the knobs in the front (the one for the trip meter and the one for setting the clock) are holding the front of the cluster in place. I tried wiggling the knobs but they are stuck very tight. Not sure if it is because of age or if they were designed that way, but I decided not to force them because I was afraid I might damage the instruments. The reason I want to get them off is to clean the inside of the plastic/glass as there is a lot of dust there. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time,
David

You need a "knob puller" ! (I know several who fit the description :D)

On a more serious note... a device like this:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...ww.schattendesign.com%2FMultipull.htm;362;330

Otherwise bend up something from light gauge steel strip. Something resembling a pair of mini tongs with right angle returns on the grabbing end.

504/404 instruments knobs aren't usually that tight. But you do need to apply the removal force concentric with the knob.

This has been covered adequately in previous posts but;

Early 504 instrument clusters were removed by removing the dashpad via a moderate push with your palms and they will unclip.

Next step, early 504 clusters were held in by 4 screws, 2 at the front and 2 on the top at the back/at each side. 10mm I think. Later ones had no screws on the front and the 10mm bolts on the top/at each side were replaced with metal pegs.

After unscrewing and detaching the speedo cable as well as carefully sliding off the two electrical cables you should be able to gently remove the cluster upwards. From either 1979 or 1980 the clock was replaced with a tacho.

Incidently, I was told by a now deceased ex PCCV watchmaker that clock problems are usually not electrical but usually a clockwork problem. I presume he meant the clockwork parts just need a clean and oil. The other thing is don't just use any oil. There is special sythetic oil designed specifically for the purpose. Check it out on the Net.

If you do manage to get your clock running correctly PCole, please let us know how you did it. I think there are plenty of us with dead clocks permanently set at 5:04

Maybe we could all try an experiment. I've never tried to oil any clock (let alone a peugeot one) but the info on the previous post came right from the horses mouth. He said most Peugeot clock problems are mechanical, not electrical. On Youtube, there are a number of videos on oiling clocks. It should be possible to oil a 504 clock and gt it going if this is the case. Assuming the oil is of the correct type. I think they cover that on Youtube as well.We could all drag our dead Peugeot clocks out have a go!

Even if it turns out to be electrical, those with the necessary skills should find it easy to do a bit a un soldering and soldering.

What does everyone think?

Agree

Like he said

Remove black dash top by tapping upwards from the front with the thick lower palm of your hand- this unclips any spring clips that are still there after 30 plus years

Binnacle then held in by two bolts - easy to remove (pre 74 have two small Phillips heads on the dash itself from memory instead

Move binnacle upwards slightly to enable disconnection of speedo drive and the two electrical connections

Clock is removed easily once binnacle is on the bench

replacement is a reverse of the above...............

except that you probably broke the remaining rusty dash top retaining clips on removal or will bend the remaining ones when you bash the top downwards once you've replaced everything.

Mine just sits on the top with no visible means of support........no drama, though

Good luck
Does this mean that the whole dash top/crash pad is removed by thumping upwards? or is this just a bit over the binnacle?

The whole dashboard top will unclip with one or two upward thumps starting in the centre of the dashboard top.

Correct. Open the passenger side window to give yourself room, and move the dash top sideways.

It's incredible how fast the operation is, compared to say a Jaguar dash (which I foolishly helped my father with once).

I later teased him by removing my dash and replacing it in ten seconds, saying "ready ? Don't look away or you'll miss it". :D:ROFLMAO:

Correct. Open the passenger side window to give yourself room, and move the dash top sideways.

It's incredible how fast the operation is, compared to say a Jaguar dash (which I foolishly helped my father with once).

I later teased him by removing my dash and replacing it in ten seconds, saying "ready ? Don't look away or you'll miss it". :D:ROFLMAO:
Great thanks.
I have just had a jag dash top out and in. Wasn’t all that bad

A 504 dashboard is easier than you might imagine. A