504 Headlights

Glenn

Fellow Frogger
Hi Froggers
I have obtained a 504 with twin headlights. The original lights have been replaced with Hella inserts and QI globes. the centre ones now operate separetely as 100 watt driving lights. My concern is the outer High/Low lights. The globes in these are fairly standard (not sure of the power without checking again) . The problem seems to be that when the High beam is aimed nicely, the low beams seem to drop very low, close to the car ie not where i would like them. It is almost like turning the lights off!
Has anyone found this problem? Is there a solution? Are some brands of globes different to others? are there better brands of inserts?
Looking for some advice. Thanks. Glenn

The only things I can think of is do you have the globes in the correct place? Or are they the correct globes for the light?

Sorry can't offer more.

It could be that either the inserts or the globes are not seating correctly and are therefore aiming wrongly.

I'm not sure about Hella (despite once having a pair in a 504), but both inserts and globes have different types of tabs which need to sit correctly

There are crap brand globes around that do not focus high to low correctly. Check if the globes fitted are a reputable brand.

If they need replacing with a brand name bulb think about what I have just done. I have just fitted a pair of 100w high 55 low bulbs to my VW Transporter, $29 via ebay from an electrical suppler in Bairnsdale Vic. WOW!

Thanks for the comments Froggers. The globes can only seat one way so that does not seem to be the problem. I had wondered about different brand globes and i had wondered about putting brighter ones in - any recommendation for a brand to look for? No one yet has commented on the Hella inserts so I assume they are not the problem.
Glenn