504 head replacement - finally, it's happened!

Pug72

Fellow Frogger
Hi all

After a long time of gathering bits, and getting the courage to attack this job, on Sunday morning I finally started the teardown, I was tired of coolant leaking from the welsh plugs at the rear of the head and from the water pump.

I was a little apprehensive as this motor has not been touched internally since 1985. I was worried about the condition of the block surface and whether the liners would slip and I removed the head.

However, I was pleasantly surprised at everything. It all came apart very easily. Lots of cleaning of parts was needed.

I even ground smooth all the casting marks from the exhaust manifold, washed it in the dishwasher then coated it and put in the oven for a few hours.

I have fitted a 505 series 1 square port head with matching inlet manifold. Fitting the existing Solex carby to this new manifold took some fabrication (modifying the auto kickdown bracket and making 4 studs to attached carby to manifold). But all installed now with all hoses connected.

Since the block surface came up so clean, I did not use any sealants on the head gasket. I torqued the head down in three passes ending up at 80 ft/pds

Only issue I have is that the carbon contact to engage the fan sits about 8mm shy of contacting the fan hub. This is really strange. The hub is on correctly. So maybe the carbon is worn down or the spring inside the housing has lost its will to go on. I'll order a new one.

Here are some pictures:

old head.jpgleaking welsh plugs.jpgold gasket.jpgclean block.jpgmanifold.jpginstalled.jpg

All that is left now is to adjust the tappets, attached the rocker cover, install spark plugs, leads and distributor cap, fill with coolant and sort out the fan carbon contact. All before Bastille day car show on Sunday!!

Looking good ! How did you clean off the block surface ? A wire wheel ? Scotch Brite pad on an electric drill ?

all back together now....was just fitting on the oil bath - ARGH!!!!! Oil bath assembly does not fit!

So close!!!!!

So now I am on the hunt for a 505 Series 1 air filter assembly (tubular style) plus the mounts.

I'll place an advert in the wanted section.

Beano, I started by scraping off the old gasket leftovers with a plastic scraper then worked with a scotch brite on a little timberblock with wax and grease remover.

Cheers

Pug72.
Gap between the carbon brush seems extreme. Is the pulley fully on? It is possible for the Woodruff [half moon] key to slip out of its groove when fitting the pulley preventing the pulley from fitting correctly. An indication will be if the fan belt is misaligned.

Everything lines up - fan belt is in alignment, fan hub is done up correctly. It cannot go any further back. Maybe the water pump has a faulty casting? I have worked out a way to move the carbon brush in 8mm.

After some head scratching, and some fabrication, the original oil bath is fitted to the engine. I am done!!!

Attachments

• Air Cleaner installed.jpg
    Air Cleaner installed.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Done.jpg
    Done.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 145