504 fuel pump

G'day Russell,

Why bother? No real advantage and a lower safety factor.

Fitted one of the "fits all carb cars" electrics from a general car accessory shop, I think the choice was 4cyl or 6/8cyl, to the old R20. It transformed it from a fuel sucking monster into an economy runner with better acceleration !!

The R20 used a bleed back system to maintain a semblance of the correct fuel pressure, as usual in these oldies the bleed back pipeline was not real healthy, the system probably never ever worked - it's one those design feasts that looks good in theory but never works in practice. I checked it with a pressure gauge, can't remember the numbers, but the pressure with the old system was way above what it should be.

Given a decent fuel supply at the correct pressure the car behaved like a star.

I can't recall the system fitted to the 504, but if it's one of these just chuck the mechanical, a new pump wont fix it. Electrics are better pushers than suckers, mount low down near the tank, preceded by a filter. Mounts must be nice and elastic or the noise will drive you nuts.

cheers,
Bob

The only 504 that had starting problems was the 1978 model and that had nothing to do with the fuel pump. I always found Peugeot mechanical pumps more reliable and more accessible than the Lucas electrics on British sports cars. I always admired the ability of electric fuel pumps to continue to pump fuel via a leaking pipe onto a fire even after the engine had stopped. Like the 1980's Range Rovers. I like Peugeot engineering and always find backyard attempts to modify and improve may be satisfactory to the owner but lack appeal to others.

I hear what you're saying Russell, and in my earlier post I gave the same opinion, but it is true that if you let a 504 or series one 505 sit for more than 3 or 4 days, some fuel evaporates out of the carby and has also retreated down the fuel line, so that a bit of cranking is needed to start. And after a week it gets tedious and is a strain on the battery.

It varied with the '03's. Some did it more than others. A mate was convinced his 403b siphoned into the engine but I wasn't convinced. I've seen it on more modern cars with Solex carbies. That's why the hand prime was so useful. But deleted on the 504. When a car was sitting for months or even a year a dash of fuel directly down the throat would speed up the process. But best to remember to put the air cleaner lid on before starting - it can send it back up and on fire. I once started around 20 old 504's for an Africa transporter. Some hadn't gone for years. Some wouldn't start ever but the majority did.

one word - Aerostart

I've used it for many years On diesel generators to lawn mowers.

The size of the engine determines the amount used.

Into the air filter inlet normally works satisfactorily.

I carry a can in my tool kit. :wink2:

This is not a good time for earlier cars. Circumstances are leading to uncertain future demand. The further a vehicle moves away from its original specification the harder it will be to eventually sell it on.

This is not a good time for earlier cars. Circumstances are leading to uncertain future demand. The further a vehicle moves away from its original specification the harder it will be to eventually sell it on.

I prefer to buy a car still in his original specifications and modify the car myself, than buy one already modified by someone else. My 505 taught me a hard lesson that is hard to go away. Hehe!

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.