504 fuel pump replacement intervals ??

Pughead2

Fellow Frogger
Hi Folks.

As a general ' rule ' among the Pug clan, what would be considered as a reliable fuel pump replacement interval on a 504?

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers.

Pughead

Thinking about it our 1972 model developed fuel pump problems around 1977 and the 1973 model around 1978 so I guess five years. I wouldn't say the replacements were replaced as frequently.

Many thanks Russell .

Do you recall what the early signs were of the fuel pumps becoming 'tired' ?

I have a new one on order and in the process of trying to eliminate a slight occasional 'hesitation 'at lower revs and low acceleration.

The existing pump is 10 years old and considering the low cost its being replaced anyway.
Cheers

The 1973 model simply stopped at times. The weather was hot. The Ballarat dealer diagnosed dirty fuel and kept cleaning the lines. They wanted to take the tank out. Experienced neighbour picked it as fuel pump. The 1972 model had a fair mileage on it and suffered fuel starvation on the highway. I don't recall hesitation as a symptom.

^ I agree with the 'Beest.....though maybe after 20 years you might want to replace it just in case.

But a slight occasional hesitation at lower revs and low acceleration.....I'd be looking elsewhere.

If you really think it's the fuel system, I'd be replacing the fuel filter first....regardless of what it looks like externally.

Are you running a points distributor ? Check to see if the vacuum advance is working. If not, the points will get dag on them. Ducellier dizzies are self-cleaning but rely on the advance to do so.

Broken down 504's that were nearly new speak otherwise. They were a frequent cause of problems with the older '03's. Pinhole leaks in the diaphragms.

Bugger, eh ? I'd never heard of that.

I guess we'll find out in this case when he replaces it....

Thanks Russell.
I have checked the ignition system ( run a 123 electronic ignition) and all seems well, coil / leads are fine. So will fit the new pump and and filter and see.

Thanks Beano.
Yep new fuel filter is the plan as well ( on reflection pump is 16 years old) Car runs a 123 electronic ignition and all in the spark department seems fine.

How about your spark plug insulators ? They are an unknown quantity, as there isn't much you can do to check em, apart from looking down the spark plug tubes at night. Which you can't really do with a 504 if they are the original type of insulator. They are an often overlooked weak link.